Macbook Pro 2011 15" Not Charging

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Imac, 15" Macbook Pro 2.0GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
Hi guys, I'm desperate. My Macbook pro is not charging.
The orange light doesn't come on when I connect the magsafe to my macbook.

I've tried resetting PRAM, SMC. I've looked at so many threads and tried everything they suggested and it's still not working.

I have a unibody macbook pro, 15" mid 2011.

I was using skype earlier with my mbp unplugged. After that I plugged it in but there was no orange light.

Please help.
Many thanks in advance.

Reaction score
2 things I would check...
1. is the cable kinked near the connector. some have had problems with the wiring inside breaking if the cable is kinked. if so, just get a new cable.
2. using a clean toothbrush, scrub the connectors on the cable end and the mbp end clean. shine a light in there and look up close to be sure it is clear of debris.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cheers wheelguy12. I will try that now.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorted now. I had to go to apple store and replaced the magsafe adapter. Turns out the adapter was defective.

Reaction score
Same thing happened to ours after 3 months. The connector on the end of the cable would spin around and it shouldn't do that. Apple MagSafe adapters have the worst reliability of any charger adapter in the entire computer industry as far as I'm concerned. I hear about so many problems with them. I'm willing to bet, that for most people, buying extended Applecare will pay for itself in replacement MAgSage adapters.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey Banshee365, funny you mentioned that. I read that a lot of people have had the same problems with the magsafe. And this thing actually got me looking at Apple care. I don't have one at the moment and really considering of getting one, if not apple care, maybe a third party insurance just for mbp.

Is it a coincidence that my mbp is almost 3months old, same as yours when the magsafe failed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2006 Macbook Pro 15.4" glossy screen, 2.16 ghz, 640 gb, 2 gb ram
Hey Banshee365, funny you mentioned that. I read that a lot of people have had the same problems with the magsafe. And this thing actually got me looking at Apple care. I don't have one at the moment and really considering of getting one, if not apple care, maybe a third party insurance just for mbp.

Is it a coincidence that my mbp is almost 3months old, same as yours when the magsafe failed.

If your reason for getting Applecare is to guard yourself against magsafe issues, wouldn't it be more cost effective to simply buy a new magsafe when/if your original one ever dies?

Also, somewhat unrelated to the OP, I ran into a similar situation with my magsafe within the last month, but my MBP is 5 years old. It turned out the springs on the outer two pins quit functioning, so the pins were not making a good connection with the computer.

To fix my problem, since I'm out of warranty, I disassembled the magsafe end (numerous videos on YouTube showing how to do this). I took the metal part surrounding the pins and filed it down. I probably made it about 1/32 or 1/16 inch shorter. I then filed down the gray plastic piece that fits inside that metal piece to hold the pins steady. This made the gray piece a tad thinner. When I reassembled the end, the pins protruded further out and made it possible for them to make a better connection with the computer.

Of course, if you're under warranty just get it replaced, but I thought I'd share my solution in case people searching the forums run across this thread.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cheers for your input AUZambo. I'm sure that info will come in handy in the future mate.

To answer your question. When I purchased my mbp, I was considering purchasing the Apple care. It's just that it was too pricey imo. I've looked at some threads and quite a lot of people recommended getting one.
I bring my mbp at work, train etc. Some users say that if the screen gets damaged, it will cost a lot of money just to repair it. Might as well buy a new mbp.

So for me, I want to get apple care for peace of mind. When the magsafe failed, it got me thinking that I really need to get one. If it was the computer itself that was broken, or the screen etc and it was out of warranty then I will be in big trouble.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.