X-Plane VS. MS Flight Sim

B

bingwalker

I'm switching soon, but love my MS Flight Sim. Has anyone here tried out X-Plane? And will I be able to run it and have it look pretty with an iBook 12" ?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
As a former switcher myself, having used every sim from Microsoft FS 4.0, I can say X-plane is a very good simulator. It's fairly technical though- not for the faint of heart. The manual's pretty good- even if you know nothing about flyng you oughta be able to muddle through OK.

Should have no problem running it on an iBook (tho I'm not sure of your specs...) and even if X plane 8 won't run, you can get an earlier version that will.

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
bingwalker said:
I'm switching soon, but love my MS Flight Sim. Has anyone here tried out X-Plane? And will I be able to run it and have it look pretty with an iBook 12" ?

Thanks

I have X-Plane (version 6.5 IIRC) and have owned most of the MS flight sims, I find X-Plane to have a far more realistic aircraft model but if you want environment realism you need to work at it some (i.e by downloading extra environment files for individual locations and the suchlike).

Mind you with X-Plane you can fly on Mars, can you do that with any MS sims? :p

I run X-Plane on a twin G5 PowerMac so I can't say how it will run on the iBook.

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17-inch; 2.16GHz; 1Gb RAM
Necessary Graphics & X-Plane

I too am considering X-Plane. I've long enjoyed MS Flight Sim, but am a Mac newbee. My question to those of you following this post is, "Do I have sufficient graphics on my MBP to thoroughly enjoy X-Plane?"

This is how I'm set in hardware:

Chipset Model: ATY,RadeonX1600
Type: Display
Bus: PCIe
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Yeah, it should run quite nicely on your MBP.
Just download the demo and give it a whirl!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.