OSX Tiger -keep continue to use

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OSX 10.4.11, 1gig Memory, iPod Shuffle the First and Second generation
Hello there,

OS Tiger 10.4.11 continue to use

I've been using Mac OSX Tiger and I sometimes reinstall Operating System from Recovery Discs. Just a few days ago I reinstalled and reformatted HDD from OSX Tiger recovery discs. Then I downloaded software patches to keep the OSX Tiger as latest version. I also use iPod shuffle the second and third generation. When I tried to connect iPod Shuffle, the machine asked me to upgrade itunes version 8. However I think version 8 was upgraded automatically online basis before ? Anyway, I searched it on the net and upgraded to iTunes version 8. Then I encountered funny messages that I should upgrade to iTunes version 10 and I couldn't access to iTunes store. As everybody aware that iTunes version10 doesn't work on Mac OSX Tiger. I considered then I tried install iTunes version 9 from Apple official site how see it works. I could successfully connect to iTunes store from OSX Tiger 10.4.11 with iTunes version 9.2.1

I could keep continue to use Mac OSX Tiger, iPod Shuffles the second and third generation.

:)

Its not a long way to reach how fix the problem and there isn't necessary special technical knowledge but I needed to update my knowledge base on Apple computer's Operating Systems.

Firefox Browser : I deleted

Regarding Firefox browser, they don't support Mac OSX 10.4.11 anymore so it is no way. Anyone know similar browser ? Thx :)

Yahoo Messenger: I deleted

I am curious that Yahoo Messenger doesn't support OSX 10.4.11 or from all apple computer Operating Systems ? They require identification code each time and I can't see the list of users of the chat room of Yahoo Messenger. Its very funny phenomenon.... I closed all Yahoo accounts and left there. Anyone knows what happened ?

Well, I've been using ICQ from earlier days so I am very happy to chat in there. My ICQ number is 608290546.

Thx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I've been using Mac OSX Tiger and I sometimes reinstall Operating System from Recovery Discs.

Why? That's rarely necessary, and never as some sort of a habitual, preventative measure.

Just a few days ago I reinstalled and reformatted HDD from OSX Tiger recovery discs. Then I downloaded software patches to keep the OSX Tiger as latest version. I also use iPod shuffle the second and third generation. When I tried to connect iPod Shuffle, the machine asked me to upgrade itunes version 8. However I think version 8 was upgraded automatically online basis before ? Anyway, I searched it on the net and upgraded to iTunes version 8. Then I encountered funny messages that I should upgrade to iTunes version 10 and I couldn't access to iTunes store. As everybody aware that iTunes version10 doesn't work on Mac OSX Tiger. I considered then I tried install iTunes version 9 from Apple official site how see it works. I could successfully connect to iTunes store from OSX Tiger 10.4.11 with iTunes version 9.2.1

Why aren't you just using the "Software Update" function from the Apple menu? That will get you completely up-to-date with Tiger, iTunes, and everything else in OS X.

Its not a long way to reach how fix the problem and there isn't necessary special technical knowledge but I needed to update my knowledge base on Apple computer's Operating Systems.

If you want to use iTunes 10, you need to upgrade to Leopard if you can. Better yet… Snow Leopard if you can.

Regarding Firefox browser, they don't support Mac OSX 10.4.11 anymore so it is no way. Anyone know similar browser ? Thx :)

If your Mac is PPC:
http://www.floodgap.com/software/tenfourfox/

If your Mac is Intel, try Firefox 3.6:
Mozilla Firefox 3.6

OP
Goody
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
Goody
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why? That's rarely necessary.....

Depends on how we use a computer in general, I think. While we are using computer, we install and delete application softwares and unnecessary files are accumulated in the computer. For that reason, I reinstall and reformat HDD drive from recovery disks once a year or so.

Software Update....

This time I thought we can get everything we need running OSX Tiger from "Software Update" function but Itunes 8 and 9 were missing and I had a trouble for installing iTunes. I hope it will be fixed soon on this regard. However if we come across on this issue, we install iTunes 8 and/or 9 separately and keep continue to use OSX Tiger.

If you want to use iTunes 10....

Yeah. I agree with you. I am thinking next step like upgrading the Operating System or replacing hardware when the machine has fatal error for recovering.

Thx

I am newbie here... I don't know how to use the quote function..

OP
Goody
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why? That's rarely necessary, and never as some sort of a habitual, preventative measure.

Why aren't you just using the "Software Update" function from the Apple menu? That will get you completely up-to-date with Tiger, iTunes, and everything else in OS X.

If you want to use iTunes 10, you need to upgrade to Leopard if you can. Better yet… Snow Leopard if you can.

If your Mac is PPC:
http://www.floodgap.com/software/tenfourfox/

If your Mac is Intel, try Firefox 3.6:
Mozilla Firefox 3.6

Thanks for the Firefox 3.6 version!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why? That's rarely necessary.....

Depends on how we use a computer in general, I think. While we are using computer, we install and delete softwares and unnecessary files are accumulated in the computer. For that reason, I reinstall and reformat HDD drive from recovery disks once a year or so.

Do you have reason to believe you do anything that I and the majority of users here aren't doing? Periodically reinstalling OS X is not done or recommended by any regular contributor in these forums, or elsewhere. That's a habit formed from using Windows and it's time to break away from that line of thought. There are plenty of threads that discuss this.

Software Update....

This time I thought we can get everything we need running OSX Tiger from "Software Update" function but Itunes 8 and 9 were missing and I had a trouble for installing iTunes. I hope it will be fixed soon on this regard. However if we come across on this issue, we install iTunes 9 separately and keep continue to use OSX Tiger.

You should be able to. iTunes itself should even prompt you to update itself. Don't expect any fixes. Apple has been done with Tiger now for what… 4 years?

OP
Goody
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you have reason to believe you do anything that I and the majority of users here aren't doing? Periodically reinstalling OS X is not done or recommended by any regular contributor in these forums, or elsewhere. That's a habit formed from using Windows and it's time to break away from that line of thought. There are plenty of threads that discuss this.

You should be able to. iTunes itself should even prompt you to update itself. Don't expect any fixes. Apple has been done with Tiger now for what… 4 years?

Thank you very much for the kind suggestion and I understand it.

I am very happy to know how I keep continue using Mac OSX Tiger as it is with iPod Shuffles the second and third generation. It is good for me.

Thx
:) :) :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I am newbie here... I don't know how to use the quote function..

Like that. ;)

If you want to quote one post, click the Quote button at the bottom of that post. If you want to quote more than one, click the Quote+ button for each one. You can then edit them to delete things you're not responding to.

you can add "quote" and "/quote" inside [square brackets] to stop and start a lengthy quote and place your comments in between. Hit the quote button and you'll see what I mean. Those commands will be at the beginning and end, respectively.

OP
Goody
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Like that. ;)

If you want to quote one post, click the Quote button at the bottom of that post. If you want to quote more than one, click the Quote+ button for each one. You can then edit them to delete things you're not responding to.

I see.... Let me try.

you can add "quote" and "/quote" inside [square brackets] to stop and start a lengthy quote and place your comments in between. Hit the quote button and you'll see what I mean. Those commands will be at the beginning and end, respectively.

ah.. i understand.

Thx

Reaction score
Depends on how we use a computer in general, I think. While we are using computer, we install and delete application softwares and unnecessary files are accumulated in the computer. For that reason, I reinstall and reformat HDD drive from recovery disks once a year or so.

The files left behind from dragging apps to the trash are only a few KB, you would literally have to trash hundreds of apps to see any difference in your disk usage. Most large software suites come with un-installers anyway.

If you would pay $12.95 for App Zapper it would save you the hassle of re-installing your OS every year. :D

OP
Goody
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The files left behind from dragging apps to the trash are only a few KB, you would literally have to trash hundreds of apps to see any difference in your disk usage. Most large software suites come with un-installers anyway.

ah... I see, I understand it.

If you would pay $12.95 for App Zapper it would save you the hassle of re-installing your OS every year. :D

I will consider it. Thank you very much for your kind help,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

AppCleaner is free and is just as good as App Zapper, though neither of those, or any app uninstaller I've seen, does a completely thorough job. Then there's AppTrap, which is simpler to use. Drop an app in the trash, and AppTrap prompts you to delete the associated files. Free.

OP
Goody
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
AppCleaner is free and is just as good as App Zapper, though neither of those, or any app uninstaller I've seen, does a completely thorough job. Then there's AppTrap, which is simpler to use. Drop an app in the trash, and AppTrap prompts you to delete the associated files. Free.

I installed and I tired how it works. Excellent, it works well. Thanks for your kindness.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.