Recommend me a good Chat Client

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
Hello folks,

As some of you know, I just picked up a new MacBook Pro and I am in love :)

In the past I've used Adium, but when I downloaded it earlier today I was disappointed. For some odd reason it wouldn't connect to FaceBook Chat no matter what! I tried everything.

For now I am using Trillian... but I am not very impressed.

What does everyone here use?

Cheers,

Mina

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Adium here, and zero problems with connecting to Facebook. I think that you have to make sure the protocol is read properly. Your FB account sign in should look like: "[email protected]" HOWEVER... rather than adding FB as the protocol, you need to add a Jabber account instead! (that's key) Reason being, FB changed their IM API protocol recently and the issues you're having are a direct result as such.

Then you have to find out what your FB user name is (not what your sign in name is) and that is where the address comes into play. For this all you have to do is hit your profile button and your user name will be in the address bar at the end. Now refer to "[email protected]" and enter that in the user name field.

Doug

OP
MinaMACMan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
Doug, Thanks for the tip.

Actually before I saw your post, I had tried removing the FB account from Adium and then adding it at again (just using Adium's built in process). I just put in the log in information for facebook and presto it started working!

The only thing I notice is there is a bit of inconsistency. Whoever I see online on Adium doesn't necessarily show online in FB! kinda weird.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.