What keyboard & mouse to get for an iMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air mid-2013 4GB, and other machines
Thinking of getting a used iMac, probably the MA589xx/A (2.16GHz last of the white ones, before the screens got so much glare).

And maybe a used G5 which someone's offering me for $100.

Neither has keyboard nor mouse.

So what can I get? What is compatible? Are non-Apple keyboards compatible, for example they won't have an Apple/Command button.

And if I must get an Apple keyboard, are there any that won't work with those iMacs?

Same for the mouse-any mouse will work? If I connect a right-click PC mouse, will that work like Control-click on my plain G5 Apple mouse?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Most any USB keyboard and mouse will work with the iMac. I can't speak for a G5 though. I can't remember off hand which key I used for the command key but I know it works. Maybe it was the Windows key?

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey folks, what about non-Apple mouses and scroll wheels?

I was going to get the Apple Mighty Mouse, but my friend who works there says it is the one product of theirs he doesn't like-said the ball gets dirty and the scrolling was not so smooth.

So I'm thinking of getting a 3rd party mouse, but want to be sure if other mice will indeed scroll on my iMac...

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
Personally, I have no issue using any brand mouse you choose, but I would recommend purchasing a keyboard that was made for a Mac. The ones that say specifically "Made for Mac" should have the proper roms built in to allow for the pre boot key combinations needed for troubleshooting and alternate boot up options.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Most any USB keyboard and mouse will work with the iMac. I can't speak for a G5 though. I can't remember off hand which key I used for the command key but I know it works. Maybe it was the Windows key?

The iMac G5 has the exact same mapping as an Intel iMac. So same keyboards will work.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The Mighty Mouse is long gone, the Magic Mouse is COMPLETELY AWESOME.

It's even more awesome in Lion. Can't wait for Lion's release! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
Also, I'm LOVING the magic trackpad. It will be even more valuable in Lion. I wouldn't game with it, but for day to day use, it's probably the best "mouse" input device I've ever used.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Personally, I have no issue using any brand mouse you choose, but I would recommend purchasing a keyboard that was made for a Mac. The ones that say specifically "Made for Mac" should have the proper roms built in to allow for the pre boot key combinations needed for troubleshooting and alternate boot up options.

Ah, good point!

I did order a Mac keyboard. Haven't decided about a mouse yet.

Will the magic mouse let you pinch and stretch? And if you swipe up/down, it scrolls?

And if so, will it drive very novice users nuts?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.