Macbook backlight issue

Reaction score
I have a macbook that was purchased in early 2008 so is now out of warranty.
The other day the backlight on the macbook stopped working completely, I've heard there are a variety of reasons for this happening. It happened to my brothers who bought his at the same time but apparently his was because of a crimped cable, because if you tilted the screen to a certain angle it would turn on. This wasn't the case with mine
Mine would just turn on for about 5 seconds on start up and then go black. I managed to set up an external monitor by shining a torch on the screen to see what was going on on the desktop.
Today though the screen on my macbook completely returned to normal, and I was wondering what people on here thought the most likely cause of this problem was and whether or not I can do something to stop the screen blacking out completely in the future.
Any help would be much appreciated! Cheers

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

Two possibilities: Either the inverter board or the inverter cable. Actually, there's a third - the CCFL backlight tube itself, however, changing one out is difficult. Apple recommends changing the entire LCD if the CCFL is bad.

Go to iFixit: The free repair manual for parts and instructions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.