Using Lpadmin

Reaction score
I'm trying to set up IP printers by using lpadmin in order to streamline the process. My goal is to make an applescript application that will run a set of terminal commands that set up 3 different network printers. I would like to use the drivers that came with OSX and the problem I am running into is lpadmin -P wants drivers using the extension .PPD, however all of the OSX printer drivers are archived as .GZ files.

I get this message when I run the command pointing to the .GZ file ---

Expected PPD after '-P' option!

Its adds the printer but sets it up as a Local Raw Printer

This is where I am stuck, I was hoping to find a way to set up the printers in the GUI and then view and copy the settings in the terminal but couldn't figure out how to do this, lpstat seems like it would do this but I couldn't get it to display all settings. Any help would you guys could give me would be great.

Thanks

OP
A
Reaction score
Thats the whole command I'm using, however I still get the message "Expected PPD after '-P' option!" and it doesn't load the driver

Does the client have to be on the network while I'm using this command, I'm trying to set it up but not connected to the network? Using the printer setup utility I can set up the printers even if I'm not currently connected.

OP
A
Reaction score
Solved

Problem solved, the printer driver had spaces in the file name, I forgot to put the name in quotes. Once I did it worked great thanks for the response.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.