Can I switch off journalling on a journalled volume?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 3,1 Dual Quadcore 2.8GHz 12GB Snow Leopard / G4 PowerMac (AGP/Sawtooth), 1.4GHz 2GB Leopard
I've just installed a new 2TB internal drive in my Mac Pro (Snow Leopard) - it'll be used for storing a growing archive of audio and video files.

As part of the installation, I partitioned it into two 1GB volumes. At the time I thought I'd made sure that neither volume was journalled - but apparently not. As it turns out, one is journalled and the other isn't. Unfortunately, I only found this out AFTER I'd transferred 350GB of video files to the journalled volume.
doh.gif

So, can anyone tell me... Is there any way I can disable/switch off journalling on that volume while it has files living on it, or do I have to copy all those videos off to somewhere else, re-format the volume as non-journalled and copy them back again?

Cheers,
Ken

ADDED LATER:

I've just found this interesting link, which appears to provide a solution. Tried it. It works. There - that was a short thread, eh! :D

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's not a good idea to disable journaling on a Mac Pro unless your Pro is hooked up to an UPS. Any kind of power fluctuations or power failure while your external hard drive is being written to will likely cause data corruption. And without journaling turned on, it can be very difficult to recover. Besides, the added overhead by using journaling is probably very insignificant.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.