No Sound on my Mac Mini at all

Reaction score
Can Anyone please help. There is no sound coming from my 2008 Mac Mini. According to sound in system preferences there are no output devices and mute button is locked on. is this hardware/software related? nothing from external speaker or headphones.

Thanks

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Do you have the DVD that shipped with the Mini? If so, load the OSX DVD and hold the D key after the startup sound and keep it down till it starts to load the Apple Hardware Test. Run the advanced test and report back. See if it finds any hardware errors.

Do you get a Startup Sound at all when you first press the power button?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Try plugging in an audio device into the audio in jack and unplugging it. If that doesn't work, a simple reboot is known to fix the issue. If that also doesn't work, reset the PRAM (instructions here). As you'll see, the PRAM holds volume information so it's possible that simple reset may solve the issue.

OP
F
Reaction score
I believe I have tried all of the above suggestions. When I tried the advanced hardware test I got no issues coming up. Any more suggestions??? No external speaker sound at all

Much Thanks

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The Startup Sound on a Mini plays through the Internal speaker even if an External is plugged in.

This may sound strange, but look down the hold in the Speaker/Audio Output jack. Do you see a Red Light?

OP
F
Reaction score
No red light that I can see. I assume you mean the headphone jack cause there is no other audio out.

Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.