Macbook Pro OS X install disc won't run

Reaction score
Ok, so I've been using Windows 7 through boot camp for quite some time now because my Macbook Pro has some weird issues in OS X. It will boot into it just fine but within minutes of booting the whole system slows to a crawl and freezes up entirely.

I know the hardware is fine because its been like this for 3 months now and I've been using Windows 7 through a partition off the laptop's HD. Games run fine and all so the Graphics card and all other hardware must be OK.

If I try to boot off the Snow Leopard DVD it just sits on the apple logo attempting to load and never progresses. I can boot single user mode but didn't know how to fix anything. I just ran fsck and it passed. How can I re-install Snow Leopard?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
You might need to back up Windows and remove the BootCamp partition before starting again. I suspect that the freezing is MDS trying to index the OS X partition and coming up with some issue. You really need to get into Disk Utility outside of OS X to fix this.

When you insert the SL DVD, are you booting holding the option key or holding the C key? You can always try booting holding command-option-shift-delete and see if that gets you in.

OP
V
Reaction score
I've tried both the C key and holding option then selecting the DVD. Both with the same result. They key sequence you mentioned didn't do anything, it proceeded to my default boot disk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK - with the Snow Leopard disk in the machine, when you're in OS X try and install Snow Leopard from there. Or go to 'Startup Disk' and select the DVD if it's there. If you can't do either of these, there is a possibility that your DVD drive or the DVD itself is damaged.

OP
V
Reaction score
When I run the Installer while in OS X it installed a bunch of files for 45 minutes then attempted to boot from the DVD, and froze on the apple logo as it always does. Selecting the disk under start up disks had the same result. Thanks for your help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You need to remove BootCamp then. Back up Windows and then remove BootCamp via the assistant.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.