World of Warcraft - will it run on Tiger?

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm thinking of buying World of Warcraft for my laptop, which uses OS 10.4 (Tiger). Now, I have heard contradictory reports as to whether WoW (the original game, not the expansions) will run on Tiger. Sometimes I read that the latest patch for the game has rendered it unplayable on PPCs, however I have just come across this message on the blizzard forums:

"Special Note: Mac OS X 10.4.11 is now below minimum requirements but WoW should still run on it. Because 10.4.11 is not officially supported anymore, WoW could stop functioning correctly at anytime. We recommend that all 10.4 users upgrade to 10.6."

Also I have heard it may not run on G4 processors, which is what my laptop has.

So, all I want to know is- if I buy the game, will it be able to run? No, I am not interested in upgrading my computer and no, I don't care about the expansions. I just want to know if the core game will run or not (maybe with the settings down low).

Thanks

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Can't answer since I don't have, nor have I ever had a PPC Mac.

But, I'd really suggest you download their free trial. Now they're letting you play the starter edition for free up to level 20 - link. That will give you a definitive answer to all your questions.

My personal advice for best practices, never purchase any software that has a free trial until you've tried it.

OP
S
Reaction score
Ah, I was unaware there was a free trial. Thanks for the link, I'll see what happens...

Edit: ah, well there we go: "WoW cannoy be played or installed on PPCs"

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
That's tough... At least now you know.

At least you have one more reason to add to the growing list for the need of a new computer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.