• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

In light of the change of theme on the Google homepage (to a very Ubuntu-like one)...

Reaction score
...I'm actually wondering - given the in-roads they've been making into the OS market with both Android & the cloud-based Chrome OS for notebooks - if Google is preparing to release its in-house Ubuntu distro "Goobuntu" into the wild?

I imagine if they did it'd be largely similar to regular Ubuntu, but with a suped-up version of Chrome or Chromium as the default browser, allowing access to the same cloud-based webapps as under Chrome OS, while still being a full native desktop environment in its own right...

Anyone else think they might go for a one-two punch with Google+ and then this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 13' Macbook Pro i5
...I'm actually wondering - given the in-roads they've been making into the OS market with both Android & the cloud-based Chrome OS for notebooks - if Google is preparing to release its in-house Ubuntu distro "Goobuntu" into the wild?

I imagine if they did it'd be largely similar to regular Ubuntu, but with a suped-up version of Chrome or Chromium as the default browser, allowing access to the same cloud-based webapps as under Chrome OS, while still being a full native desktop environment in its own right...

Anyone else think they might go for a one-two punch with Google+ and then this?

They already did, it's called Chrome OS :)P) What do you think it's kernel is? Debian Linux all the way.
(CR-48 pilot, I'm quite used to the Chronos.)

You don't need the desktop.(In house Google uses Ubuntu and OSX, no windows machines.) Both OSX and Windows are moving away from the traditional desktop to either a springboard or web.

Reaction score
I'm a bit worried about everything going over into the cloud. I like to know my data is physically with me in the form of a harddisk drive. Sure, having your workflow on the web has a lot of advantages, but I'd like to have both. So I hope the Chrome OS doesn't become the industry standard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
I'm disliking the new look.

I guess you can say that I don't really like change, but I wish there was a way to switch it back to the old look.

OP
I
Reaction score
They already did, it's called Chrome OS :)P) What do you think it's kernel is? Debian Linux all the way.
Yeah, I know it's a Linux kernel - but that's all it is, a kernel & one dedicated App, no general shell, and that's just not sufficient for all implementations of an OS...

You don't need the desktop.(In house Google uses Ubuntu and OSX, no windows machines.)
It's true that they don't use Windows (for obvious & understandable reasons), but Ubuntu and OS X are still Desktop Operating Systems, so I don't really see your point there...

Both OSX and Windows are moving away from the traditional desktop to either a springboard or web.
Not quite, they're incorporating more & more elements of Cloud Computing, but if they really were "moving away from the traditional desktop" as you say, the next Macs & PCs out would be running iOS & Windows Phone 7.

Not everything can be Cloud-based, we'll still always need some native capability & servers for our networks.

For example, if someone was travelling to a location where there was no guarantee of internet access a ChromeBook would be completely useless.

The same thing goes for military vessels running under radio silence; while you could have a system where there was a wired cloud that connected all the terminals aboard to a central server, you'd still need a native OS for that server (and no military would ever go for a system with that little redundancy anyway).

Another example would be people/businesses who maintain their own networks; an AirPort base station or equivalent WiFi router just doesn't cut it for professional applications, and it wouldn't be practical to run a network server via another network.

Cloud Computing is not "the future", it's a clever tool that (as usual with these sort of things) people have gotten too overexcited about & over-hyped. It's not a total flash-in-the-pan, I'm sure it it will stay with us as a very useful utility; but it's never going to replace the need for native capabilities in any computers, whether they be "PCs" (I'm speaking generally here & including Macs with all other PCs), tablets, smartphones, or any other devices that might arise.

I'm a bit worried about everything going over into the cloud. I like to know my data is physically with me in the form of a harddisk drive. Sure, having your workflow on the web has a lot of advantages, but I'd like to have both. So I hope the Chrome OS doesn't become the industry standard.
I agree absolutely, hence why I said I see the optimum being a case where one has a full, but light desktop running in the background as a back-up, while the majority of one's work could be done via an enhanced browser (hence my example of Ubuntu with the Google Chrome OS running in effective virtualisation as an App in place of the normal Chrome web browser).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP 13 inch unibody 2.3ghz intel i5, 8gb DDR3, 500gb Seagate momentus XT HD, Mac OS X Lion 10.7

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.