Pop-ups Please Go Away!!!

Reaction score
Does anyone else have problems with continuous pop-ups?

I always get these random odd pop-ups that lock me up until I force quit and go back in. Meaning I can't click outside the box and continue what I was doing. Sometimes I can but sometimes I have to force quit to continue with what I was doing and it's a pain. For example a while back it was "Apple security alert" pop-up that read: To help protect your computer....detected Trojans ready to remove" with an option to Cancel or Remove all.

I didn't trust it so I did neither but I could not use Firefox at all until I forced quit and went back in. It eventually went away.

Now today I just signed up for Mac-Forums and I no sooner chose my password and I got a pop-up saying it's from mac-forum with a new private message. Sender: MF Welcome Bot. I didn't click OK to view or the Cancel option because I get sooooo many pop-ups I'm leery of even the legit ones!

Just wondering if anyone else has this issue. I recently started using NoScript to try and cut down on this but so far haven't noticed a difference. Thanks for reading!

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
The MF Welcome bot is safe, its just saying Welcome to the forums.

The Apple Security Alert is a scam and you were right to quit.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I agree with harry here - install an ad blocking extension. It may not fix the issue but it may mitigate it. Second, make sure Firefox's pop-up blocking is turned on (Firefox > Preference > Content). It should be on by default but it's worth checking.

Pop-ups aren't generally an issue but they can be if you visit certain sites. Although I'm not suggesting that you browse "interesting" parts of the web, it would be worth noting where these pop-ups occur.

OP
H
Reaction score
Thanks all. I did double check the preferences and it is set to block pop-ups. Can AdBlock be used in conjunction with NoScript? Are they basically the same thing but different companies? I got a little paranoid I admit with the Welcome to the Forum thing. I guess I have just been getting so many it makes me suspicious of everything!

I did a search for something totally unrelated on my computer the other day and came across this file called "ehlpdhtm.js" saved on my hard drive. It is a 76 page document dedicated to just pop-ups. There is a lot of code and I question it's legitimacy because it has weird statements in it like:

"// Handle absurd cases just in case IE flakes
// if (size.y < 100) {
// size.y = 100;"

"// Create the real popup window
var wndPopup = window.open(strURL, "BSSCPopup", "titlebar=no,toolbar=no,status=no,location=no,menubar=no,resizable=yes,scrollbars=yes,height=300,width=400");
// Close the temporary"

"//Create a temporary window first to ensure the real popup comes up on top"

Anyhow there is 76 pages of this found under HD-Applications-Omnipage SE.

These pop-ups generally occur when I am in my Hotmail account. They do sometimes happen also when I am signing into accounts where I need to enter a password, everything from banking to my Stonyfield Farms points program. Stonyfield is the latest. A pop-up keeps coming up and will not allow me in saying I have an invalid username/password. But mostly hands down, Hotmail.

As boring as this sounds, I'm not on "interesting" sites. Nothing against anyone who is, I can just say 100% that isn't the cause which makes me even more curious why it is happening.

If I restart the whole system with my disc will I lose my pics and home movies?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro "Harpertown" - 2x 3Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon - 12gb RAM-
Thanks all. I did double check the preferences and it is set to block pop-ups. Can AdBlock be used in conjunction with NoScript? Are they basically the same thing but different companies?
Yes, I'm running both and it is fine. They handle different things, although there may be some overlap in duties. NoScript deals with stuff like java and background stuff that you wouldn't notice is going on, like google analytics and facebook are always blocked for me on every page.

I just added TACO yesterday. It helps stop companies from tracking your surfing habits. Overlaps some but it seems to be doing something good too.

There is a lot of code and I question it's legitimacy because it has weird statements in it like:

"// Handle absurd cases just in case IE flakes"
:D That's a funny line of code.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.