Mac Pro Upgrade

Reaction score
Hi

Tried to download Final Cut X, app store said graphics card not supported, bought new Apple n\Nvidia Geforce GT 120 from Jigsaw, downloaded drivers from nvidia, installer says nvidia graphics solution not supported.
Go back to nvidia website says driver for Mac Pro 5,1 (2010), Mac Pro 4,1 (2009) and Mac Pro 3,1 (2008) users only.

My Mac Spec

Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro2,1
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 3 GHz
Number Of Processors: 2
Total Number Of Cores: 8
L2 Cache (per processor): 8 MB
Memory: 12 GB
Bus Speed: 1.33 GHz
Have i just wasted 120 quid on a card that wont work on my mac?

Any suggestions gratefully appreciated

Pete

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Sorry to say you should have checked prior to purchase. The GT120 for your model are, from memory, flashed PC cards, as the Apple card is for later models only. Don't know about wasted you can always sell it on eBay or similar.

For my Mac Pro 1.1 upgraded to a Quad Core use an ATI Radeon HD4870 1GB flashed PC card and it works first class. But then I detest Final Cut Pro and do not use it.

OP
F
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply harry, ebay it is then, will that card you suggested work on my mac and is it open CL as thats why my existing card is no good.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Sorry to say you should have checked prior to purchase. The GT120 for your model are, from memory, flashed PC cards, as the Apple card is for later models only. Don't know about wasted you can always sell it on eBay or similar.

Thanks for clearing this up Harry. A few months ago when I was debating replacing a failing card in mine. I gave myself a headache trying to figure this out: Some users said it would work, some said maybe, and Apple said no.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
PM sent Flossy from where I purchased mine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.