Backing up Windows, Parallels and other Applications help.

Reaction score
Hi,
Firstly I'd like to say sorry if this is in the wrong section, new to using forums.
Recently my hard drive crashed on me and wiped all the data stored (including 500GB of video :Grimmace:, ) so I recently bought a external hard drive. I was just wondering are you able to back up applications such as Windows 7, Parallels FCP x etc.
If so how?
Thanks for the help.
Morley

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Parallels and any virtual machine you've created will get backed up automatically if you're using Time Machine. Just be sure not to exclude anything from the Time Machine backup.

If you have Windows 7 installed on a separate partition, you can back that up with the Windows 7 backup software. Time Machine will not backup a Windows 7 partition. You can also use WinClone to backup Windows 7.

OP
M
Reaction score
Parallels and any virtual machine you've created will get backed up automatically if you're using Time Machine. Just be sure not to exclude anything from the Time Machine backup.

If you have Windows 7 installed on a separate partition, you can back that up with the Windows 7 backup software. Time Machine will not backup a Windows 7 partition. You can also use WinClone to backup Windows 7.

Thanks for the help.
Just one more thing, I have Microsoft Office on my original drive, is there anyway to transfer it to my TB dive without paying again?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Transferring over MS Office from the old drive likely won't work unless you found every file it needs to run which is highly unlikely. Instead, simply reinstall it using the disc or if you bought the digital download, re-run the installer from that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.