Outlook PST file nightmare

Reaction score
After this http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/242661-switched-last-collect-tomorrow.html thread, I thought I was home and dry. The shop that sold me the Mac would transfer my data from my PC to my Mac - wrong!

They are not able to transfer the Outlook PST file, apparently it's too big (5.3 gb). They have been working on it for three days and tried various programs, all that has happened it that they have damaged my existing Outlook email files.

I have decided to cut and run and I am going to try Apple Cambridge tomorrow to see if they can do a better job.

Has anyone got any suggestions please?

OP
A
Reaction score
Sorry, I should have said, O2M was one of the bits of software they tried, it got to 70%, then said the file was too big.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Is there any way to break down the Outlook export into separate, smaller PST files

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4
If all else fails, you might try iCloud when it becomes available. I used MobileMe to transfer my Outlook files and it worked perfectly

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I guess I don't understand how a business or anyone for that matter would allow an Outlook PST file to grow to 5.3 GB. Even when I was working for the US Government and everything was done from Outlook, the data was archived long before the PST grew too large.

As was suggested by louishen, break the file up into smaller lengths first if possible. You can always concatenate the parts later on if need be.

OP
A
Reaction score
Apple Cambridge have my old machine now, they did not seem phased by the size of the file, time will tell if they can sort it.
I run my own business so it's my own fault the file is so large.

OP
A
Reaction score
Well at last I'm sort of sorted, the PST file was corrupted so after a lot of tooing and frowing I am up and running. I am planning on ditching the email/diary/contacts section of Office in favor of Mac's versions which seem far more stable and better suited to a Mac.
I managed to get my diary and contacts over to the new machine by using my iPhone as a go between.

C

chas_m

You will never have the same problem using Mail, as its database is not a huge archive like the monolithic PST file but instead just a collection of the emails themselves, very accessible.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.