Changing out hard drive on a 2006 "polycarbonate" iMac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air mid-2013 4GB, and other machines
I've changed hard drives on the G5 white plastic case, but read that from the next generation the process is different, i.e. you have to remove the screen or something.

How difficult is this? Thinking about buying one on eBay, but need to swap to at least 1TB.

If you can answer:
-Vaguely, what do I need to do? and is it much more difficult than on a G5?
- A specific link(s) [I couldn't think of what to Google-are these really "polycarbonate"? or "white"?]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
iMac Intel - iFixit

Just select your iMac Model, and select "Hard Drive Replacement" and it will give you very specific instructions on what you need to do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
I tend to think of iMacs since 2005 in one of three categories - white without iSight, white with iSight, and aluminum. Yours sounds like the white with iSight, and yes, they are a little more challenging to open. iFixit has the instructions for replacing the drive here.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.