Need Help with a Video/Music Project

Reaction score
Hello all, this is my first post here on the forum! Anyhow, I am working on a new project involving recording of saxophones. My idea is to record saxophone quartet pieces with a/v one part at a time, Soprano, Alto, Tenor, Baritone. Then I want to arrange the video so that I can be seen playing all four horns, as well as having the audio line up. Basically a one man quartet with video.

Here is a link that shows about what I want: YouTube - ‪Eric Whitacre's Sleep for Saxophone Choir‬‏

I honestly have no idea how to approach this. I have done multi-track recording in Garageband with headphones and the built in metronome as to keep myself in sync. However, I do not know how to use video in these recordings. Where should I start? I have the iLife '11 suite and Final Cut Pro X at my disposal, I can record with my iMac's iSight mic and Blue Yeti mic.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
You can do it using the iSight, but its gonna lag alot and the audio and video will be out of sync and you will have to realign manually. its quite difficult to get to work well, but it is do able. you would have to record via iMovie, not Garageband.

OP
C
Reaction score
You can do it using the iSight, but its gonna lag alot and the audio and video will be out of sync and you will have to realign manually. its quite difficult to get to work well, but it is do able. you would have to record via iMovie, not Garageband.

Do you suggest a better alternative to the iSight?

FWIW FCPX does directly import from iSight so I don't need to use iMovie at all. The whole point of this, though, is so that I can listen to the other parts while I record... I guess this isn't possible?

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
iMovie can import directly from iSight too. I just know that the iSight lags, especially with fast movements.

you could of course play into garageband then mime on the video.

I dont know anything about video cameras so I will leave that to someone else.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.