Switching to Lion

Reaction score
Having only had a MacBook Pro for six months with Snow Leopard, I now see that a new OS Lion is being introduced this month. My experience with PC's has always been don't touch a new version of Windows for at least 12 months. What do experienced Mac users do with new versions of the Mac OSX do they change on day 1 or do they leave for sevral months?

ElBeardo :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I'll probably upgrade most of the machines around the house shortly after it's released. The work laptop will have to wait, only to make sure that in-house apps support the new OS.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I have usually waited for a month or two but mainly because of the need to save money for the upgrade. If this is your only system check first to see if "mission" critical applications need to be upgraded.

At this point here is what I am planning to do:
1. Clean install of Snow Leopard - only because I have not done a clean OS install in about three years maybe more. I also have some minor issues to clear up.

2. Clone clean install of Snow Leopard to backup drive. If I don't like Lion or have problems I can revert to Snow Leopard.
3. Install Lion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I'll probably upgrade shortly after it's release if not the day of. OSX releases don't tend to be nearly as troublesome as Windows releases do.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I agree with member baggss. There may be some apps that will be broken by Lion but if their developers have kept up, new versions that are compatible will be forthcoming. We went through the same sort of thing when Snow Leopard was first released.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I agree with member baggss. There may be some apps that will be broken by Lion but if their developers have kept up, new versions that are compatible will be forthcoming. We went through the same sort of thing when Snow Leopard was first released.

...and Leopard...and Tiger....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro (Late-2011), 2.4 GHz Core i7, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
I plan to upgrade as soon as it's available (which could be as early as July 6). Lion went Gold Master today, which means the code is locked for the final release.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" 2.5 Ghz i5 with 16GB of RAM and a 1TB SSD.
I plan on upgrading as soon as it become available.

To dmccloud:
Goldmaster means the code is locked, but if there are any last minute bug issues or anything of the kind, the release will be postponed and they will work on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I always wait, in part to see what kind of problems are reported on forums like this one. It never fails, people have problems with a new upgrade.

But, mostly I wait because I have no good reason to upgrade. I'm still using Leopard. I'm still alive. (T'would be a big story if I was typing from the grave!) Upgrading just to have the latest version is not my way. If what I have works, I'll keep it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in rMBP 2014 Yosemite
@Slydude

You mention cloning the fresh install..

I think thats a good idea; as you said if you don't like it.

I won't be doing a fresh install or anything.. I have only had this iMac since Feb.. but what steps would I need to take in case of (my wife mainly) not liking how Lion operates.

I have heard of it on here before, but I have no idea what its called (the cloning program that is).

I currently have TM backing up to my external seagate you know.. as regular as TM does that stuff. No other back up software in use other than TM.

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well OP this is not Windows so do not judge a book by that cover. Having said that Windows 7 was excellent on release.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Let's assume that your current installation is functioning the way that you like. That's just as good a starting place as a fresh install. You need a drive to hold the clone and it must be large enough to hold the contents of your current drive.

For an overview of cloning take a look at ATPM 8.10 - How To: The Cloning of a Mac. Ignore the software references there's newer software available now.

For cloning software I recommend either Carbon Copy Cloner - Features, SuperDuper!, or even Apple's Disk Utility.

It is actually quite easy to use Disk Utility for this by first formatting the new drive with a GUID partition then going to the Restore tab and dragging the current drive in the source field and new drive in the target field. See this guide to DU if needed ATPM 17.05 - How To: Using the Free Disk Utility on Your Mac

After you clone Snow Leopard make sure to boot from it once to make sure things are working properly. There is no worse feeling in the world than needing to boot from a clone to revert to an older OS only to discover the cline isn't working.

C

chas_m

Being a teacher of Macs, I tend to install stuff like this on day one -- and while there are usually bugs to be ironed out later, I can honestly say that with the last two releases I didn't get bit by any of them, which means they were either fairly minor or fairly obscure (at least to me and my usage).

I *do* fully agree that a clone backup of the existing system is a really sound idea. Not that I think anybody "won't like it" but in case the install goes wrong.

As for worries about not liking it, a general reminder directed at nobody in particular: anytime anyone changes the visual aspects of something we are used to, there's an instinctual tendency to dislike. Giving oneself a little time to make a fuller judgement often results in a revised opinion.

From the impressions I've gotten from the various "reviews" of Lion I've read, a lot of visuals have changed, other aspects (like Mail and iCal) have been tweaked (rather than overhauled) and on the whole it sounds to me more like a refinement of Snow Leopard with some added iOS bits rather than any radical change. We'll see, obviously, but the fact that they kept the price low tells me that they didn't feel the need to overhaul the kernel or anything hugely different under the hood, rather they built on what Snow Leopard established.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, late 2012 model, 21"
I'm downloading it the day it comes out. I can't wait to install it on both my Macs!

Reaction score
Well OP this is not Windows so do not judge a book by that cover. Having said that Windows 7 was excellent on release.

Yes to Microsoft's credit, Windows 7 has been awesome. Now if Microsoft could get rid of that noisy bald guy, I would like them even more. He talks too much, don't you think?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
I'm downloading it day 1. I always enjoy new operating systems.

Bring on the bugs!

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
Im gonna wait to see the issues people are having with Pro Tools 8 in Lion.

Getting a Pro Tools rig completely stable is something that shouldn't be frittered away unnecessarily. So if the bugs are minimal I will, otherwise I will wait.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Im gonna wait to see the issues people are having with Pro Tools 8 in Lion.

Getting a Pro Tools rig completely stable is something that shouldn't be frittered away unnecessarily. So if the bugs are minimal I will, otherwise I will wait.

Reading about the history of ProTools (and I don't use them), you'll be waiting until 6 months prior to the release of the next version of OS X before you can upgrade to Lion.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I was just about to pull the trigger on a Synology NAS, when I found a developer review stating that the one I was going to get does not work with Lion.

I'll download Lion sometime during the first few days of it's release.

Maybe I'll install it to the wife's Mac first. ;D
It'll be the 3rd OS upgrade install on hers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.