Switching to Lion

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
I'll probably upgrade some of my Macs but not all. There is one issue with the OS that Apple is aware of that's an issue for me - but it would only affect one of the Macs that I use so the rest I'll probably update very soon after release.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Well, that's exactly it; Microsoft has thrown down the gauntlet by finally releasing a version of Windows more-or-less as stable as OS X.

While Windows 7 is a fine release of Windows, it still suffers from the same time-honored liabilities that have plagued it for more than 2 decades now. Specifically, the registry and loose control over how the OS is modified by users and software. The Windows kernel has also changed very little since XP, and even less so from Vista to 7.

Again, I'm not saying that 7 isn't a great release, it really is, but it's not comparable to OS X (or any *nix) in terms of stability or susceptibility to "rot" over time. And each successive release of Windows has been little more than another coat of lipstick on the pig that is the NT kernel.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro (Late-2011), 2.4 GHz Core i7, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro (2019) 3.3 ghz 12-Core 96GB mem Vega Pro II
Thanks for the info.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 i3 27" 16gb Ram
You're not supposed to do this (I think Apple's thinking is that physical disks always leave open the chance for people using the same disk to upgrade more machines than they're licensed

I may be wrong on this but apps from the app store "Lion" included is owned for multiple machine use per apple account.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I may be wrong on this but apps from the app store "Lion" included is owned for multiple machine use per apple account.

Lion has the same license as other MAS software, up to 5 machines on the same AppleID.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i7 930 Hackintosh, 24GB RAM; 2011 13" MBA, 4GB RAM, 128GB Flash Storage; iPad2
I'm such an early adopter...day one I will be upgrading all machines.

Reaction score
Yeah, that is correct, but if you had a disk you could conceivably use it to upgrade all your machines, & then pass it around to everyone else you knew with compatible Macs...

Thus one person might pay the £20.99 / $29.99 upgrade fee & then a dozen Mac users might actually get the benefit. This would slash Apple's profits & the next upgrade to 10.8 or 11.0 or whatever certainly wouldn't be as cheap!

So, obviously, that's why you shouldn't be tempted to pirate, not only is it immoral; in the long-run it's as much in your interest not to as it is in the company's!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thus one person might pay the £20.99 / $29.99 upgrade fee & then a dozen Mac users might actually get the benefit. This would slash Apple's profits & the next upgrade to 10.8 or 11.0 or whatever certainly wouldn't be as cheap!

I'm pretty sure that's not the case. I can guarantee you that a lot of people did this with Snow Leopard and not only that, but there were many people who updated from Tiger to Snow Leopard without going to Leopard first.

Apple took a bath on Snow Leopard but they're still only charging $29 for Lion.

Apple doesn't make money off their OS, so I honestly really don't think they care much, especially since you have to use their hardware (which is where they make their money) to use their OS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
Just restoring all of my files after a clean install in preparation for Lion. I hope it comes out this week!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I plan on upgrading as soon as it become available.

To dmccloud:
Goldmaster means the code is locked, but if there are any last minute bug issues or anything of the kind, the release will be postponed and they will work on it.

I know this response is late, but I got tied up - honestly, there is to me a problem with the GM that existed in the previous version that Apple is aware of that hasn't been fixed, so if they are code locking it either they feel it's not worth fixing (which would be a big issue for me) or figure they can get away with it until a later patch.

That said, I'll probably upgrade 2 of my 3 systems to Lion considering the various things I do like about it, but the 3rd system, until the issue is fixed, I can't upgrade.

C

chas_m

Because Lion will be tied to a particular iTunes account, that should prove to be an effective "limit" on any attempts at mass copying.

Just to correct the record, Apple didn't take "a bath" at all on Snow Leopard, quite the opposite. As the company predicted, the low price spurred sales and deterred piracy, making Snow Leopard the most-quickly-adopted and top-selling version of Mac OS in the company's history, and helped to reinforce the various other incentives that encouraged switchers and fence-sitters to give it a try.

Lion and Snow Leopard both build mostly on top of the work done in Tiger and Leopard, meaning development costs of the OS probably weren't as high as, say, Panther or Tiger. The combination of the increase in the userbase needing to upgrade (which introduces a greater volume of sales) plus a lowered cost of development has resulted in a re-pricing that gives consumers a great break on price while still remaining reasonably profitable for the company.

As schweb said, the decision was made that the OS, like the iTunes Store, doesn't need to be a "cash cow" the way it does for Microsoft -- it seeds many other more-profitable areas.

Reaction score
While:
Apple doesn't make money off their OS, so I honestly really don't think they care much, especially since you have to use their hardware (which is where they make their money) to use their OS.
Is true. It's also the case that:
Lion and Snow Leopard both build mostly on top of the work done in Tiger and Leopard, meaning development costs of the OS probably weren't as high as, say, Panther or Tiger.
So while:
As schweb said, the decision was made that the OS, like the iTunes Store, doesn't need to be a "cash cow" the way it does for Microsoft -- it seeds many other more-profitable areas.
Apple is really gonna need to up its game with it's next OS release...

Whether it be OS 11, OS XI, OS Ж, or just plain old OS X 10.8; they can't release just what effectively amounts to Leopard version 4 - even Microsoft is (finally) innovating with Windows 8 - Apple needs to do the same with the next version of the Mac OS.

That said, in spite of the higher development costs, Apple would obviously prefer to be able to sell it at $29.99 (or equivalent) to once again "spur sales and deter piracy" - however, if they got wind that too many people had been pirating Lion & so would be likely to pirate the next version of Mac OS, they might feel it necessary to up the cost back to $129.99 or even $199.99, to cover the much higher costs...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 i3 27" 16gb Ram
Yeah, that is correct, but if you had a disk you could conceivably use it to upgrade all your machines, & then pass it around to everyone else you knew with compatible Macs...

So, obviously, that's why you shouldn't be tempted to pirate, not only is it immoral; in the long-run it's as much in your interest not to as it is in the company's!

Sorry if i did not specify. but that was in response to a user who was inferring having to buy it for each of his machines in the house. I was not implying that Piracy was OK at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro|15" Hi-Res Anti-Glare|2.2 GHz quad i7|4GB RAM
I will most likely be upgrading. I am eligible for a free upgrade (purchased after WWDC), and I'm still awaiting the arrival of my new MBP (I've sent in the one I just got to be replaced... :p ). I'm excited for one or two features, so if the OS were to cost $129 like Leopard did, I'd probably hold off. But for $30 (free in my case) I'll have no problem upgrading.

edit: 300th post! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
While:Is true. It's also the case that:So while:Apple is really gonna need to up its game with it's next OS release...

And what is it you'd like to see them do to "up their game"? And how are you so sure that it will take tons of money for them o "up their game"?

Whether it be OS 11, OS XI, OS Ж, or just plain old OS X 10.8; they can't release just what effectively amounts to Leopard version 4 - even Microsoft is (finally) innovating with Windows 8 - Apple needs to do the same with the next version of the Mac OS.

By innovating, you mean copying off the OS X and iOS? I think Lion is innovative in several ways.

Innovative doesn't necessarily mean throw everything out and start over.

That said, in spite of the higher development costs, Apple would obviously prefer to be able to sell it at $29.99 (or equivalent) to once again "spur sales and deter piracy" - however, if they got wind that too many people had been pirating Lion & so would be likely to pirate the next version of Mac OS, they might feel it necessary to up the cost back to $129.99 or even $199.99, to cover the much higher costs...

I still feel your entire analysis on this is wrong and you are still placing far too much importance in regard to how Apple actually views its OS business.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
At $29 I can't see why anyone would pirate Lion. Great price. Hurry up 14th! :D

Reaction score
I was not implying that Piracy was OK at all.
Oh, of course not; I never meant to imply that you did. Sorry if it seemed I had.

I was just speaking rhetorically in the last paragraph you quoted; making a general reference to why software piracy ends-up being just as bad for the consumer as for the software companies themselves.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.

The entire reason Apple is not only selling Lion cheap, but only via the App Store, is to help push everyone into using the App Store for their purchases. THAT will net Apple a LOT more money from their 30% cut than selling Lion or any future updates for $129.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.