Switching to Lion

Reaction score
I'm in the process right now of backing up my files and about to do a clean install of SL in preparation for Lion. As one poster mentioned, after my clean install I will be Ghosting my drive so that if I have to I can fall back to SL.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2010 15" MBP; late 2012 11" MBA; iPhone 5
I'm going to wait about five minutes, then click "download".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2011 MBP i5 2.3GHz 13" 8Gb Ram 120Gb SSD
Recently purchased a MacBook Pro and new to the Mac world.

I had planned on upgrading to Lion as soon as it was released and planned to do a Time Machine backup just prior to doing the upgrade. My thinking was that if there was a problem, I could just restore from my Time Machine backup and thereby revert to my pre-Lion (i.e., Snow Leopard) environment. Am I missing something here?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
I am not entirely too sure exactly how clean installs can be done, given Lion has to be installed from the App Store - but I guess we'll have to see.

I usually upgrade right away, but I have a lot of audio software that tends to be buggy with new OS releases, so I might wait this time. The Mac Mini under the TV will be the Guinea Pig and get the first install.

Reaction score
I have to switch to Snow Leopard first...

But I do plan on doing so before release.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 MBP 15" I7 2.3 Ghz 16 GB Ram 500 GB SSD Retina
I use Super Duper as a clone tool. It works very well and has been tested by my system in a real world scenario. Worked like a charm. I plan to upgrade as soon as I can get it downloaded. My system is only a couple of months old thus not a lot a "stuff" in the system. I have checked and most of the critical software I have loaded is already compatible with Lion except for Parallels which hopefully will be before Lion is ready. (I need this to run Windows for work.)

I always upgraded pretty much right away with Windows as well and was only burned on Vista. Windows 7 is an excellent operating system at least compared to prior Windows releases.

Regards,

Pat

Reaction score
With regards to Windows, it's an IT Managers unwritten rule that you don't install a new OS until the first Service Pack comes which will tend to iron out all the problems.

No such rule of thumb when it comes to MacOS!

I use Time Machine to backup up my MacBook and I've just checked it's still working and that all my files are on there.

I don't have any old programs - if you do, then make sure you research if there is a free update or if there is a newer version you may need to buy to ensure it works with Lion.

As soon as it's released I'll be downloading and installing it - Bring It On!

:cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro (2019) 3.3 ghz 12-Core 96GB mem Vega Pro II
As a new iMac purchaser (after 6 Jun) I am entitled to a free upgrade to Lion. But the information I have seen says I have to "request it." When and from whom?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
As a new iMac purchaser (after 6 Jun) I am entitled to a free upgrade to Lion. But the information I have seen says I have to "request it." When and from whom?

From the Mac App store - there will be an option to redeem a free upgrade.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro; 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5; 4GB 1067MHz DDR3; OS X 10.6.8; 2010 model
As I am a member of the Public Health Service, I have to wait for DOD to upgrade the CAC reading software to support Lion on my work laptop. My "civvie" computer though will be upgraded on day one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacBook Air 16GB 1TB SSD
I will upgrade sa soon as it is released.

I have my data fully backed up.
I use Time Machine with a local USB HD. I ChronoSync to copy data files to another (Windows 7) computer. THat computer is backed up using Carbonite.

Monty

Reaction score
Somewhere inside the White Glowing Apple... meh ac
Your Mac's Specs
2x MacBook 5,2 4GB 64GB SSD + PowerMac G5 Quad2.5 + iPhone 3GS 8GB + iPod nano 2+3 4GB + iPod 4 60GB
Got my MacBook and iMac prepped for the big install.
By the way, will the original install discs from an iMac 21.5" work with an aluminium 20" one so that I can upgrade to Snow Leopard?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Got my MacBook and iMac prepped for the big install.
By the way, will the original install discs from an iMac 21.5" work with an aluminium 20" one so that I can upgrade to Snow Leopard?

No they won't. Not only are the discs that ship with Macs single use licenses, they will only install on systems matching that with which it was shipped. You will need to purchase a copy of SL.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 i3 27" 16gb Ram
I was just about to pull the trigger on a Synology NAS, when I found a developer review stating that the one I was going to get does not work with Lion.

I'll download Lion sometime during the first few days of it's release.

Maybe I'll install it to the wife's Mac first. ;D
It'll be the 3rd OS upgrade install on hers.

Would you happen to know what does not work with Lion?

I have an older Synology.

My guess would be the software that sets up the unit would be the issue.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Regarding Synology - AFP, Time Machine... see this thread.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 i3 27" 16gb Ram
Regarding Synology - AFP, Time Machine... see this thread.

So it seams that Apple has updated AFP. I do not use my NAS for my Time machine at this point but, Synology still needs to work on it and get it rolling.

I guess it would be a similar problem for other NAS boxes as well as Qnap has the same issue.

One way around it would be to setup an iScsi drive.

Reaction score
Well OP this is not Windows so do not judge a book by that cover. Having said that Windows 7 was excellent on release.
Yes to Microsoft's credit, Windows 7 has been awesome. Now if Microsoft could get rid of that noisy bald guy, I would like them even more. He talks too much, don't you think?
Well, that's exactly it; Microsoft has thrown down the gauntlet by finally releasing a version of Windows more-or-less as stable as OS X. Windows 7 PCs are still slightly less stable than Macs, but that's due to the large amount of hardware the OS is required to be compatible with; I've not really heard of anyone who's BootCamped Win7 onto their Mac - who knows what they're doing with computers, that is - who's had any trouble with Windows once all the Mac drivers are installed.

If Lion is now buggy on release, after Microsoft has finally managed to get Windows working right (after ~25 years), Apple's gonna have a hard time living it down!

Re. Steve Balmer - I dare you to watch this video all the way through! ;P

Reaction score
I am not entirely too sure exactly how clean installs can be done, given Lion has to be installed from the App Store - but I guess we'll have to see.
If you open-up the installer files once its fully downloaded, you'll find a DMG in there - as it's hidden it's only meant to be used via OS X mounting it virtually in the background, but it is as burnable as any other disk image.

You then burn it to a recordable DVD, or use it to create a bootable USB, and use that to install after doing a clean wipe of your harddrive.

You're not supposed to do this (I think Apple's thinking is that physical disks always leave open the chance for people using the same disk to upgrade more machines than they're licensed to, or create "hackintosh" non-Mac PCs running OS X - both illegal activities); but so long as you only use the installer DVD-R / B-USB you create to install Lion on the machine you originally downloaded it on, you won't - strictly speaking - be violating the software license as you'll still be installing that one copy on the one machine it was intended for.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.