How can I tell if my macbook pro has been restored to factory settings?

Reaction score
I just bought I brand new macbook pro (15,4 inch)... but I'm thinking that it may be used (it was a bit dirty when I opened it, but it has no scratches).
I tried with coconut battery, but it went ok, the battery is new. However they might have changed it.
Is there a way to know if the mac was restored to factory settings?
... if not, is there any other way to know if is a used laptop?

Thanks,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I just bought I brand new macbook pro (15,4 inch)... but I'm thinking that it may be used (it was a bit dirty when I opened it, but it has no scratches).
I tried with coconut battery, but it went ok, the battery is new. However they might have changed it.
Is there a way to know if the mac was restored to factory settings?
... if not, is there any other way to know if is a used laptop?

Thanks,

If it was new, it would have had protective wrapping on the body… peel-off type if I'm not mistaken. Review any of the hundreds of unboxing videos/photo galleries on the internet to see if anything was different.

OP
G
Reaction score
It has all the "official" envelops of a brand new mac... the thing is that I found small dust specks all over the interior of the box and in the accesories (not on the notebook itself).

other info:
cycle count says 1... wich correspond to the initial battery discharge I just did. That's why I think they may have changed the battery.

Serial number is C02FHFG0DF8V... how can you tell if this correspond to a refurbished unit?

According to coconut "Age of your Mac" is 11 weeks.

That's why I thought the only way I could knew for sure if they used it before (maybe for showcasing at the store) was finding out if it was restored to factory settings. (Also I bought it in an official apple store).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
I checked with
eveymac.com your serial # seems to point to the latest version, if it is a refurbished model I would say the box should be indicated with refurbished product, I do not believe apple would do such dirty job.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
It has all the "official" envelops of a brand new mac... the thing is that I found small dust specks all over the interior of the box and in the accesories (not on the notebook itself).

other info:
cycle count says 1... wich correspond to the initial battery discharge I just did. That's why I think they may have changed the battery.

Serial number is C02FHFG0DF8V... how can you tell if this correspond to a refurbished unit?

According to coconut "Age of your Mac" is 11 weeks.

That's why I thought the only way I could knew for sure if they used it before (maybe for showcasing at the store) was finding out if it was restored to factory settings. (Also I bought it in an official apple store).

There are unpacking videos of refurbed MacBooks also. The packaging is completely different and are clearly labeled as refurbs. I'm fairly certain that Apple isn't taking returns/refurbs and running them back through the assembly lines for new hardware to fraudulently portray them as brand new.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.