6 Months With A Mac

Reaction score
Here is my report of switching 6 months on.

Moved to: 2010 MBP 13", 2.4 GHz C2D; running Snow Leopard.

Moved from: Lenovo G Series; running Windows 7 Home.

Primary use: Web, email, documents, media consumption, time wasting.

Why Mac?: Really impressed with iPhone 4.

I bought my Mac in November last year after my 6 month old Lenovo died and had to be returned to Dabs.com. I bought it over the phone from the Apple store, taking advantage of the generous 15% student discount and free (with rebate) printer and free AppleCare. This could have been much smoother if my credit card company stopped bouncing the transaction but the eventually relented and my new computer arrived the following day!

As with the iPhone, the most difficult part of the setup was removing the shipping wrapper; everything else was so straightforward including transferring all of my files from my Debian server on to my Mac. Having used *Nix based OSes before, OS X didn't come as a surprise.

What did come as a surprise was how much of my old software still worked - all of my games under Steam, for instance. But as usual, Microsoft let me down - my office 2011 licence couldn't be transferred to MS Office:Mac which is a shame because it's a £10 corporate licence and I rather liked it. So I'm back on Open Office and considering paying £33 for the full iWork suite.

The 'ecosystem' works beautifully. The way the iPhone works so smoothly with OS X, Dropbox, iCal and iTunes/iPhoto is nothing short of a coup. I make a point of this because, before the iPhone, I had a Nokia N97 which came with 5 separate pieces of software to manage maps, music, photos, software updates etc and, if an update was available, each program had to be updated before it would even open. If the USB interface wasn't in the right mode (PC Suite? Flash drive?) nothing would happen.

Would I switch back? No chance! Once you go Mac...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Thanks for sharing. Glad the move went so well for you.
If you don't need all of the iWork apps, you can purchase just the ones you want/need through the Mac App Store.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.