New iMac. Not impressed with the speed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid2011 iMac 21.5" (Quad Core i5 2.5 GHz, 4 GB DDR3 RAM, AMD 6750 512Mb)
First of all, hello everyone and greetings from the Ukraine. I've been a long time reader and now a first time poster :)
So I've finally bought my first Mac (iMac) few days ago and I love mostly everything about this computer, OSX, apps and the whole simplicity. But a few things have come out that I've never thought of.
Sometimes there is a small but noticeable lag, f.e. when I click on the "Application" folder in the dock. It looks like a small render lag.
The next thing is how Google Chrome runs on my system. When I try to load a heavy loaded page with a lot of flash banners it scrolls extremely slow, even after the whole page is loaded. I tried Firefox, Opera and Safari. Safari is the best one but there is still a noticeable lag. Mac AppStore runs pretty slow too while I do the long list scroll.

I am kind of disappointed because I thought with that kind of a configuration that I have (Quad Core 2.5 GHz i5, 4 Gigs of RAM, AMD 6750 GPU), the system will scream! Comparing to Windows it looks like there are no GPU drivers installed, but my games still runs fine on a Mac (I played Team Fortress 2 and Left 4 Dead 2 with no problems).

Should I say that's a software issue (Chrome/Flash/OSX) and maybe apps are not ready for the quad-core era?

Sorry for the long post but hope you'll help me guys :)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You should be saying "Hello Flash" and "Thank you, Adobe".

Best I can suggest is to grab ClicktoFlash.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I don't know - something sounds odd to me. The fact that you're seeing lag even with mundane actions isn't normal. Have you installed any SW that might be running in the background? I have a quad core iMac, i7, and I don't see any lag doing any of the activities you've described. I'd suggest taking a shot of your activity monitor and posting it in this thread - and if noone sees anything out of the norm - perhaps visiting the Apple Store. Increasing the RAM isn't a bad idea either.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You should be saying "Hello Flash" and "Thank you, Adobe".
Best I can suggest is to grab ClicktoFlash.
Thanks for the suggestion. That is great find.

I don't know - something sounds odd to me. The fact that you're seeing lag even with mundane actions isn't normal. Have you installed any SW that might be running in the background? I have a quad core iMac, i7, and I don't see any lag doing any of the activities you've described. I'd suggest taking a shot of your activity monitor and posting it in this thread - and if noone sees anything out of the norm - perhaps visiting the Apple Store. Increasing the RAM isn't a bad idea either.
The CPU activity is really low on my system while browsing the web or doing some general tasks. I did a fresh install of the Snow Leopard from the Apple provided DVD, updated the system and only installed a few apps like Skype, Twitter and Flash from the Adobe web site.
Here is the screen: http://localhostr.com/file/IH6Zhbg/Screen shot 2011-07-01 at 3.11.34 PM.png

And what is "SW"? :)

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Plus I ran Apple Diagnostics from the included DVD, checked my ram and my hard drive. Did the GeekBench with the result of 7200 (normal to any other mid2011 iMac).

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
Repair your disk permissions through Disk Utility.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Repair your disk permissions through Disk Utility.
Thank you but I did that already. I guess it helped a little bit but not that much. How often I have to do this?

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
not alot. every month or so. you could try doing a repair disk by booting from the install discs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
Since this is a new unit, and most of the issues appear to be network based, try this - open System Preferences->Network and click the gear icon at the bottom of the window. Select Set Service Order and make sure Ethernet and Airport are at the top of the list, Bluetooth and Firewire at the bottom. Apple typically lists Bluetooth at the top of the list, so all network requests attempt to pass through Bluetooth first, fail, and then move on to one of the other ports. By moving it to the bottom of the list, you lower its priority, hopefully speeding things up a little.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
First of all, hello everyone and greetings from the Ukraine. I've been a long time reader and now a first time poster :)
So I've finally bought my first Mac (iMac) few days ago and I love mostly everything about this computer, OSX, apps and the whole simplicity. But a few things have come out that I've never thought of.
Sometimes there is a small but noticeable lag, f.e. when I click on the "Application" folder in the dock. It looks like a small render lag.
The next thing is how Google Chrome runs on my system. When I try to load a heavy loaded page with a lot of flash banners it scrolls extremely slow, even after the whole page is loaded. I tried Firefox, Opera and Safari. Safari is the best one but there is still a noticeable lag. Mac AppStore runs pretty slow too while I do the long list scroll.

I am kind of disappointed because I thought with that kind of a configuration that I have (Quad Core 2.5 GHz i5, 4 Gigs of RAM, AMD 6750 GPU), the system will scream! Comparing to Windows it looks like there are no GPU drivers installed, but my games still runs fine on a Mac (I played Team Fortress 2 and Left 4 Dead 2 with no problems).

Should I say that's a software issue (Chrome/Flash/OSX) and maybe apps are not ready for the quad-core era?

Sorry for the long post but hope you'll help me guys :)

Silly as it may sound, double the RAM. I have a Mid-2010 i3 iMac and it came with 4Gb of RAM. When I doubled it to 8 things suddenly became a lot snappier. These days with Apps like Safari, Mail, Handbrake and iTunes open the machine uses about 4Gb of RAM to run. The extra 4 makes the difference.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
not alot. every month or so. you could try doing a repair disk by booting from the install discs.
Thanks. Gonna do that.
Since this is a new unit, and most of the issues appear to be network based, try this - open System Preferences->Network and click the gear icon at the bottom of the window. Select Set Service Order and make sure Ethernet and Airport are at the top of the list, Bluetooth and Firewire at the bottom. Apple typically lists Bluetooth at the top of the list, so all network requests attempt to pass through Bluetooth first, fail, and then move on to one of the other ports. By moving it to the bottom of the list, you lower its priority, hopefully speeding things up a little.
Done that. Thank you. Hope that helps.
Silly as it may sound, double the RAM. I have a Mid-2010 i3 iMac and it came with 4Gb of RAM. When I doubled it to 8 things suddenly became a lot snappier. These days with Apps like Safari, Mail, Handbrake and iTunes open the machine uses about 4Gb of RAM to run. The extra 4 makes the difference.
I thought about doing that a little bit later. My wallet feels so light right now :) so my next buy would be a RAM and the SSD.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just came back from the store and played with the same iMac model as I have and with the i7 MBP. They have the same problems as I mentioned before. I guess Mac users are just used to them and the guy at the store told me that he have never even noticed that before...

Reaction score
You're not running antivirus, autosaving, keylogging and all sorts of other add-ons are you?

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're not running antivirus, autosaving, keylogging and all sorts of other add-ons are you?
Nope, that is a completely naked system without any kind of stuff like that.

While I see that lag the CPU gets about 15-20% of usage, so that's seems like a render/driver/software issue to me. Nothing else is running in the background.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I thought about doing that a little bit later. My wallet feels so light right now so my next buy would be a RAM and the SSD.

Adding memory to an iMac is a snap, however, I would seriously think twice about adding a SSD. Opening up an iMac and adding a SSD is something you need to look into before deciding that's what you want to do.

Take a look at the procedure for swapping out a hard drive in an iMac at the iFixit: The free repair manual web site.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Adding memory to an iMac is a snap, however, I would seriously think twice about adding a SSD. Opening up an iMac and adding a SSD is something you need to look into before deciding that's what you want to do.

Take a look at the procedure for swapping out a hard drive in an iMac at the iFixit: The free repair manual web site.
Yup, I saw few disassembly videos on a YouTube and that's not a problem for me. The only thing I have to worry about is the warranty; I just don't wanna loose it, so I guess I might wait a bit...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I have the last-gen iMac with an i3 and 4 GB RAM, and I simply don't have the issues you are experiencing. And no, as a Mac user I'm not simply "used" to it. Have you updated to 10.6.8 yet? If not, do so. If you have, download the 10.6.8 Update Combo and apply that. Sometimes that helps iron out little bugs from prior updates.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks :) I'm not in the U.S. right now, but I'll definitely get one of those when I'll get back there in August.
I have the last-gen iMac with an i3 and 4 GB RAM, and I simply don't have the issues you are experiencing. And no, as a Mac user I'm not simply "used" to it. Have you updated to 10.6.8 yet? If not, do so. If you have, download the 10.6.8 Update Combo and apply that. Sometimes that helps iron out little bugs from prior updates.
Thanks for the reply. I did a fresh install once again, downloaded and applied this update. Still no speed difference.
So I must say the system in general is fast but not super fast. The Application stack opens fast if there is not so many apps. When the folder starts to grow, folder opens up with a small delay for the first time. The next time it's fine.
I guess I act like crazy and maybe there are no problems at all... :\
I'll try to record a video and show you what I mean.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Thanks :) The Application stack opens fast if there is not so many apps. When the folder starts to grow, folder opens up with a small delay for the first time. The next time it's fine.
I guess I act like crazy and maybe there are no problems at all... :\
I'll try to record a video and show you what I mean.

I see a small delay when I open the application stack from the dock. Say, less than 1 second or so. That is simply the Window UI rendering the menu to display. Once it is rendered it will be fast but after a period of time the system will dump that render from memory and it will eventually have to do it again.

I don't think that's anything unusual or unacceptable. Now it it were a 4 or 5 second delay I would agree it's a problem. Maybe I'm just used to it but I see similar delays on Windows boxes I use (both at work and at home) and it doesn't really bother me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.