New iMac. Not impressed with the speed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I see a small delay when I open the application stack from the dock. Say, less than 1 second or so. That is simply the Window UI rendering the menu to display. Once it is rendered it will be fast but after a period of time the system will dump that render from memory and it will eventually have to do it again.

I don't think that's anything unusual or unacceptable. Now it it were a 4 or 5 second delay I would agree it's a problem. Maybe I'm just used to it but I see similar delays on Windows boxes I use (both at work and at home) and it doesn't really bother me.

That's a really good explanation and should be taken heavily into consideration. UI renderings will be faster or slower due to things such as a dumped cache or the amount of images/elements on the current screen. If there are a lot of items, and they're not cached then rendering will always be just a tad slow the first time they're run.

This has no bearing on how fast applications will run, since those threads and processes are a totally separate event. I wouldn't sweat it, as it's not an issue AFAIC.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I also notice that after a restart of my Mac there is zero rendering time for the same App menu from the dock. My guess is that as the Finder uses memory and released it the process slows down a bit as the run time grows longer. For a machine that has been running for 2 to 3 weeks strait (my iMac had been up for 22 days and in heavy CPU use for 15 of those 22 days) a half second pause to render a menu display isn't that big of deal IMO.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
I've always experience a bit of a lag when opening the Applications folder and opening it in list view you can see that it takes time to work out the size of each app. I've always assumed that this is because the apps are actually quite complicated folders in many cases and can be quite involved. Other folders open just fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Thanks for the reply. I did a fresh install once again, downloaded and applied this update. Still no speed difference.
So I must say the system in general is fast but not super fast. The Application stack opens fast if there is not so many apps. When the folder starts to grow, folder opens up with a small delay for the first time. The next time it's fine.
I guess I act like crazy and maybe there are no problems at all... :\
I'll try to record a video and show you what I mean.

There's a free app named Capture Me that will record the screen activities if you really want to do that. Wouldn't be a bad idea if you are this convinced something is amiss. You could also try a cache cleaning tool to be sure you don't have something funky going on with that. Onyx can do the job.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.