Increased RAM - Performance drops ???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
I recently upgraded the RAM in my iMac from 2 to 4Gb, but rather than notice any benefit I'm rather noticing the opposite. In particular when switching from one open tab to another in Firefox I often now get the spinning wheel; opening Hotmail and there is a long pause before I can enter recipient, subject or message text; when I have Word and Excel open at the same time there is now a definate lag when switching from one to another.

I have attached details from Activity Monitor. Perhaps someone could throw some light as to what may be happening and how I can rectify. Thanks.

BTW the new memory came from Crucial and was carefully matched to original spec.

Screen shot 2011-07-01 at 08.18.04.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
If you remove the new ram does the performance return?

Similarly if you have just the new RAM and remove the old what happens?

Try those two things and that will definately tell you if it's the new RAM, the combination of old and new or the quantity that's at fault.

also worth reseting the PRAM/NVRAM

OP
Sawday
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Have sold old RAM so option to swop back is not available.

Re resetting PRAM/NVRAM - Ive never come across this before. Are there any risks or special considerations before I go ahead?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Not really. Read the info on the type of things that get reset just so you know which (minor) settings you'll have to redo.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Was low density modules and not cheaper high density as used in PC's generally? Some times sellers do make errors.

OP
Sawday
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Was low density modules and not cheaper high density as used in PC's generally? Some times sellers do make errors.

Sorry don't understand your point.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.