10.6.8 interrupted

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP 2.33GHz Core 2 Duo, 3MB Ram
My install was interrupted, now when it boots it won't load the finder. I did not use time machine, is there anyway to boot via the install disk and reinstall the update that i downloaded to a flash drive.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The only way I know out of your problem is probably insert the 10.6 DVD that you used ti install Snow Leopard and do a reinstall. With SL default is Upgrade so you will not loose any of your files and settings, but you will have to rerun all the updates when it's done.

One thing you could try as I am sure it will not hurt, is first boot into the OSX DVD and run Disk Utility from the Utilities drop down up top. Repair permissions. Probably will not work since you interrupted the update, but worth a quick try.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i tried repair permissions but it did not work... i guess the reinstall is next thanks

Reaction score
My 10.6.8 upgrade was interrupted, iMac ok but a few niggles.

I re-installed 10.6.3 from disc, cured my problems

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So, I had to step away for a few days and I tried to reinstall this afternoon form the SL DVD. It's doing the same thing... It loads to the desktop, then goes back to the grey screen and the cog turns, back to the desktop, back to the grey screen and cog. Do I have to reformat and go from scratch?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes. That's what dtravis7 meant when he told you to reinstall with your Snow Leopard DVD.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes. That's what dtravis7 meant when he told you to reinstall with your Snow Leopard DVD.

I got the impression from dtravis7 that I would not have to reformat the HD and start from scratch

"...With SL default is Upgrade so you will not loose any of your files and settings, but you will have to rerun all the updates when it's done."

But since I have reinstalled as an upgrade and it is still not working, I will have to reformat, lose everything and start from scratch?

There is no way for me to go into terminal or boot from the DVD so I can see the desktop and run the upgrade that I have on a flash drive and see if that will fix it?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What I suggested is what you did. If that did not work, either there is an issue with the hard drive or some other hardware, or a config (plist) file is messed up which the upgrade is still using. It's rare when the upgrade does not fix it.

Don't remember but have you run Apple Hardware test as yet?

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have, there were no issues found, I suspect that it is a config file that is damaged and the upgrade is not overwriting it...
Any other thoughts or, do I start from scratch?

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My MBP originally came with 10.4.8, my gut tells me the answer to this question is no but, would that do anything for me?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not sure I understand....? You're trying to upgrade from 10.4.8 to 10.6.8 using the Snow Leopard upgrade disk? If you are, it won't work. You need to do a clean install which means erase, reformat, and then install Snow Leopard 10.6.8.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.