NTFS external transferring music to mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4ghz quad core ati 5850 graphics card 4GB ddr3 ram
So my dad is a huge Pink Floyd fan and for fathers day I got him the discography of Pink Floyd.

I have the discography on my 1TB external and was wondering how I would go about transferring the music to his mac? Planning on sneaking over, transferring the music and leaving without him noticing but I want to make sure this goes right.

He was in a different state visiting family during fathers day and then somebody we knew died so he extended his vacation to cover the funeral hence why this is happening so late.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If all the music is on the 1 TB drive which is formatted to NTFS, it can be transferred to the Mac. There are different ways to do it but probably the easiest is to attach the external drive to his Mac and copy the files over.

You may run into permissions problems, however. It's possible the music files will copy over and deny permission to play them once on the Mac. You may have to reset permissions for the entire drive first.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4ghz quad core ati 5850 graphics card 4GB ddr3 ram
If all the music is on the 1 TB drive which is formatted to NTFS, it can be transferred to the Mac. There are different ways to do it but probably the easiest is to attach the external drive to his Mac and copy the files over.

You may run into permissions problems, however. It's possible the music files will copy over and deny permission to play them once on the Mac. You may have to reset permissions for the entire drive first.

hm reset permissions eh? how would one do that?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Assuming the music files are all in one folder on the NTFS drive. (If they're separate as individual files it will be a daunting task to change permissions for all of them.)

Move the entire folder to the Mac. Once on the Mac, right click on the folder and select "Get Info". Click on the small lock at the bottom of the dialog, and enter your admin password. Set the permissions to read and write.

Note: It may not be necessary to reset permissions. Move the music folder first and test it to see if it's read and write on the Mac.

I've got a NTFS external drive that I use for my PC and the files that I copy to my Mac are mostly read and write. But I have come across occasions where they will be read only.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.