Localhost file & owner permissions

Reaction score
For days now I'm looking for an answer I can't seem to find. I'm running Mamp on my iMac and I have installed a few joomla sites in my Mamp root which I changed to a second volume (HD) on my Mac.

When trying to install a component for Joomla installation goes well but when I view the page I get a blank screen. It's not typical for this component, it does so as well with some other components.

It's a image gallery plugin that works well when pointing to a joomla! folder in the default image folder, that came with the installation. No blank screen then. But when I point it to a newly made folder in the default image folder (the default for Joomla) the blank screen is there on the front end.

I figured it must be because of file permissions but in terminal with the command ls -l it says (for all files inside that folder)

-rwxrwxrwx 1 username admin etc.

So it looks to me that permissions are right (0777) and ownership as well (username = my username).

What could it be. I don't know what to do anymore.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sandra

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
What are the permissions in the Default Joomla folder?

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks for your quick reply.

This is what I get in terminal:

drwxr-xr-x 29 username admin 986 29 jun 17:48 namedir

I've changed file permissions to 0777 for the joomla! folder. In terminal (and Finder) I can see that it changed and that I'm the owner and admin is the owner. Then I started MAMP but the blank screen was there again.

With Fillezilla I uploaded one of the images to the folder that has to be shown as a gallery. Without this image it works, with this image it shows a blank screen. In terminal I changed permissions for the image I uploaded. I can see that it changed. But again a blank screen.

The problem definitely has to do with self made folders and uploaded/copied files from outside the Joomla! dir and you should think it has to do with file permissions, ownership. But changing this for those folders and files doesn't help.

Anymore ideas are very welcome.

Sandra

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Although you the user are Admin, what group is specified. Shouldn't it be www as opposed to staff?

OP
A
Reaction score
In terminal it doesn't say what group has the rights. It's just username + admin.

In finder I can see that username, admin + everyone has read & write permissions (username = 1 person icon, admin = 2 person icon, everyone = 3 people icon)

I don't know how to set group permission to staff or www. Should I replace group "everyone" for group "staff"?

BTW: I've shifted my local site to an online domain (to rule out other possibly causes). The component works. For me proof that it has to do with permissions settings/ownership on my Mac.

Thanks for helping me.

Sandra

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry about the staff thing.

Admins are by default in the Wheel group, non admins are in the staff group. It's an OS X thing.

You can use the chgrp command in terminal to set the group. Since the web service is not running as you or admin for that matter, the group might need to be specified, or the owner should be who the web service is running as.

root may need to be the owner and admin or www be the group. In a web scenario www has less privileges than admin (group) making the content safer.

OP
A
Reaction score
I'm getting a bit confused. So instead of username root should be the owner? And instead of everyone as group www should be the group? Do I do this in Finder, or should I do this in terminal?

Thanks,

Sandra

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll say this,...

I have not used Joomla and therefore might be causing more harm than good.

I did download and begin the install on my OS X Server when life got in the way over the holiday weekend.

Wish I had more time.

I trust you've tried the Joomla forums?
I'll post back if I make any progress.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thank you so much for trying to help me.

Joomla forums I've tried but nothing there (well, I couldn't find it). Also tried the website of the person that made the extension. Will try some more. The moment I find the solution I'll let you know.

Thanks again....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.