Mirror only one monitor in a mulit-monitor setup

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Hey guys,

I've missed this place but I've been super busy! It great to be back!

I have a question. I have a 3 monitor set up on my mac pro and I mostly do video editing and such, but I'm moving into some web develpement space with my new company and I'd like to mirror my main display on my mac (the center of the 3) onto a plasma above my system (which is already there and hooked up) so that I can show clients what I'm working on with out them having to be on the system if they are working on something side by side with me.

Is this possible? I can't figure out a way to do this.

pbook.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The only way I can think of, might be with the Matrox DualHead2Go.

This would connect to the port on your Mac now occupied by your main display. Then both the main display and the plasma would connect to the DH2G.

I know it does extended or mirrored mode across the 2 monitors, and as I understand it, has it's own software for controlling it. So, the Mac should still see only the 3 monitors. (Not really sure here.)

Have not done this, but I think that would work. I'd get it somewhere that it's easy to return.

The drawback... both monitors have to run at the same resolution.

You're getting into a pretty technical monitor set up there. Maybe we have a member doing something similar.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Are you wanting to mirror the same image on all three screens? If so, just go to the Displays preference pane and check the Mirror Displays option. Otherwise you will need something like Bob suggested. There are two potential problems with some models:

1. The drivers for some of these devices may not fully support OpenGl. That means that some effects which require Open GL may not display properly on monitors attached to the device.

2. In my setup the driver sometimes crashes if the system is asleep for too long. Upon waking up the system does not crash entirely but the mouse/keyboard are not functioning.

OP
PowerBookG4
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Ok cool, I guess I'll have to look into one of those hardware pieces... Although it sounds like it should be easy to do via software but I guess Apple doesn't have an interest in building that into their os, because I bet there are not many people who need to do that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.