Login background

Reaction score
I've followed a number of different instructions on changing the login background in OS X 10.5.8, including manual methods and programs like Loginox. All have been "successful" in changing from the default Aurora image. However, my problem is that Mac OS isn't displaying any background. The login screen background is only the boring, default solid blue. :Grimmace: Any help is much appreciated! :Smirk:

~Alice

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I've followed a number of different instructions on changing the login background in OS X 10.5.8, including manual methods and programs like Loginox. All have been "successful" in changing from the default Aurora image. However, my problem is that Mac OS isn't displaying any background. The login screen background is only the boring, default solid blue. :Grimmace: Any help is much appreciated! :Smirk:

~Alice

Are you talking about on the Desktop, after logging in? Right-click on the Desktop, select Change Desktop Background. Do the obvious from there.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
This method might be worth a try if you haven't already Change the Mac Login Screen Background. If it does not work it should be easy to put things back as long as you remember to copy the background file mentioned in the article.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
It's possible that the permissions on the file are incorrect. Well, first off, make sure the picture is named "DefaultDesktop.jpg" and is in fact a JPEG. If that's the case, let us know what the permissions on the file are (right click > Get Info > Sharing & Permissions).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Feh. It seems I may have mis-interpreted the OP's case. I long ago changed my login background using a tip similar to what Slydude suggested, and it comes up fine. Interestingly, I just now tried to change it a few times using software that is supposed to do this for me… and it resulted with just the blue screen. Manually swapping it out should still work, but I am wondering if you must use a jpg whose size matches your monitor's native resolution. (EDIT: Never mind… I answered my own question… it doesn't have to match)

OP
A
Reaction score

That was the first method I tried. I used those very instructions.

Interestingly, I just now tried to change it a few times using software that is supposed to do this for me… and it resulted with just the blue screen. Manually swapping it out should still work, but I am wondering if you must use a jpg whose size matches your monitor's native resolution. (EDIT: Never mind… I answered my own question… it doesn't have to match)

It's possible that the permissions on the file are incorrect. Well, first off, make sure the picture is named "DefaultDesktop.jpg" and is in fact a JPEG. If that's the case, let us know what the permissions on the file are (right click > Get Info > Sharing & Permissions).

Like I said above, changing it the manual way was the first thing I tried. I saved the image from Photoshop. I've gone thru the process again. It is definitely a jpg. Color profile is not embedded, and the resolution is set exactly to my screen resolution (1280x800 @ 72 dpi). Yes, the name is "DefaultDesktop.jpg".

The permissions are as follows: "You have custom access". Me: Read & Write. wheel: Read only. everyone: Read only.

INTERESTING UPDATE: After logging in and then logging out (not restarting), the background image works. It appears the only time it doesn't work is on a fresh boot/reboot.

Also, after changing the file back to the original, not even that shows up. I don't know if it was working previously because I never used the login prompt. I only enabled it after manually swapping out the background file using the method Slydude mentioned. Could that have something to do with the problem?

~Alice

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
INTERESTING UPDATE: After logging in and then logging out (not restarting), the background image works. It appears the only time it doesn't work is on a fresh boot/reboot.

Also, after changing the file back to the original, not even that shows up. I don't know if it was working previously because I never used the login prompt. I only enabled it after manually swapping out the background file using the method Slydude mentioned. Could that have something to do with the problem?

~Alice

Hold on a sec… do you boot straight into a user account, or do you get a login window first? That picture only shows up if you are on the login screen, not while booting.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.