Good, free ssh program

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 inch, 2020
I used putty and winscp with my Dell, but I need one for the mac. I know you cna do it from Terminal, but I like to use a dedicated program, it just seems easier to me. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

Reaction score
I used putty and winscp with my Dell, but I need one for the mac. I know you cna do it from Terminal, but I like to use a dedicated program, it just seems easier to me. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

Excuse me if I'm missing something... what is wrong with Terminal? not sure you'll find anything better on an Intel-Mac...

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
While you could use a client, using the command line version is just as easy. Take a look here to see all the switches (options). Any particular reason you'd prefer a GUI?

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 inch, 2020
The only reason why I prefer a program like winscp is because is seems easier. When I used winscp in the past, I would just enter the ip address, name and pw and have a screen showing all the files that were in the apple tv or on my iphone and I could just click on something and delete or edit it. It seems that the only way to do that in Terminal is to just enter command lines. Maybe I'm missing something.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Cyberduck is your friend. When connecting, use "SFTP." This will only work if the sftp server is installed on the remote machine which in my experience, has always been the case.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
Hello Joe,

Though I understand that a GUI SCP program "seems" easier, the terminal is so much more powerful and flexible.

The learning curve is actually not that bad, and once you spend 10-15 mins you'll embrace it.

Also, if you edit your hosts file (/etc/hosts) and add the IP address of all your machines as well as the hostname you'd like to call them on your Mac, SCPing to them is as easy as typing:

scp userid@hostname

and boom you are in!

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

M

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
I use terminal for command line management, but I use Cyberduck for SCP just because it's faster and easier than typing in long paths to files/folders.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Hello Joe,

Though I understand that a GUI SCP program "seems" easier, the terminal is so much more powerful and flexible.

The learning curve is actually not that bad, and once you spend 10-15 mins you'll embrace it.

Also, if you edit your hosts file (/etc/hosts) and add the IP address of all your machines as well as the hostname you'd like to call them on your Mac, SCPing to them is as easy as typing:

scp userid@hostname

and boom you are in!

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

M

even easier if you add an alias to your .profile...

such as..

alias sshbeer="ssh [email protected]"

then you just would (in this case) type sshbeer and be presented with a password prompt. For SCP/SFTP though I use cyberduck.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.