How can I update my iPod software?

Reaction score
I was looking through all my apps today, the ones I downloaded and later rejected and noticed that I don't remember experimenting with a certain one. I decided to add it to my apps and sync and the message shows up telling me,

The app "X" was not installed on the iPod "Y" because it requires a newer version of iPod software.

Obviously, the first thing I did was check for an update going through Devices > iPod > Summary > Check for Update but it told me that I had the latest iPod software. Looking into it, I found out that the latest iOS update was 4.3.3 and my iPod software was only at 4.2.1. It still did not allow an update, nor could I find a download of the software anywhere. (Strangely, my iPad software version is at 4.3.3.)

My question is pretty obvious, but when iTunes is telling you that you have the latest iPod software, how do you get the actual latest software?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I was looking through all my apps today, the ones I downloaded and later rejected and noticed that I don't remember experimenting with a certain one. I decided to add it to my apps and sync and the message shows up telling me,

The app "X" was not installed on the iPod "Y" because it requires a newer version of iPod software.

Obviously, the first thing I did was check for an update going through Devices > iPod > Summary > Check for Update but it told me that I had the latest iPod software. Looking into it, I found out that the latest iOS update was 4.3.3 and my iPod software was only at 4.2.1. It still did not allow an update, nor could I find a download of the software anywhere. (Strangely, my iPad software version is at 4.3.3.)

My question is pretty obvious, but when iTunes is telling you that you have the latest iPod software, how do you get the actual latest software?

Restore it, then try again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.