Corrupt/conflicting Keyboard & Mouse drivers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, 17" MBP, Mini x2
Hi folks,

I'm a recent OSX adopter (last year and a half or so) so I apologize if this is a relatively simple question.

I'm running OSX 10.6.8 on a 27" iMac. I have a Logitech Dinovo Edge keyboard that works great, and a Razer Naga mouse. Everything has been working fine for quite some time.

That said, Razer came out with a driver update that I applied and it has made my system extremely unhappy. The mouse and keyboard both work until I try to bring up the Preferences Panel for either of them. If I open either the Razer, Mouse, or Keyboard Prefpane, my keyboard (which is bluetooth) loses connectivity and never recovers.

Additionally, the Keyboard preference pane and Logitech software preference pane do not open - they just hang indefinitely and I have to force quit the application and reboot my machine to get my keyboard back.

I did some googling and tried doing a kextunload of the Razer drivers. I unloaded them, and moved them to the trash. After a reboot both the mouse and keyboard work, but I still have the same problem - as soon as I open a preference panel (either the standard Apple Mouse or Keyboard panels) my keyboard loses connectivity, the prefpane hangs and I have to reboot.

I'm at a loss as to how to begin troubleshooting this. I believe the Razer drivers were the cause, but as I can tell I've unloaded them and there is no Razer software at all on the machine anymore. Is there a log file or something that I should be looking at to help track this down?

Any insight would very much be appreciated. Thanks! :)

OP
Seventh
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, 17" MBP, Mini x2
Here's a tail of system.log. It looks like the Razer driver is still trying to load, which I assume is at least part of the problem, but I'm not sure where to go about disabling/removing it.

$ tail system.log
Jun 29 21:20:26 Vault com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[147] (com.razer.nagaepicdaemon[245]): posix_spawn("/Applications/Razer Naga Epic.app/Contents/SharedSupport/RazerNagaEpicDaemon.app/Contents/MacOS/RazerNagaEpicDaemon", ...): No such file or directory
Jun 29 21:20:26 Vault com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[147] (com.razer.nagaepicdaemon[245]): Exited with exit code: 1
Jun 29 21:20:26 Vault com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[147] (com.razer.nagaepicdaemon): Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds
Jun 29 21:20:36 Vault com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[147] (com.razer.nagaepicdaemon[246]): posix_spawn("/Applications/Razer Naga Epic.app/Contents/SharedSupport/RazerNagaEpicDaemon.app/Contents/MacOS/RazerNagaEpicDaemon", ...): No such file or directory
Jun 29 21:20:36 Vault com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[147] (com.razer.nagaepicdaemon[246]): Exited with exit code: 1
Jun 29 21:20:36 Vault com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[147] (com.razer.nagaepicdaemon): Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds
Jun 29 21:20:40 Vault login[248]: USER_PROCESS: 248 ttys000
Jun 29 21:20:46 Vault com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[147] (com.razer.nagaepicdaemon[253]): posix_spawn("/Applications/Razer Naga Epic.app/Contents/SharedSupport/RazerNagaEpicDaemon.app/Contents/MacOS/RazerNagaEpicDaemon", ...): No such file or directory
Jun 29 21:20:46 Vault com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[147] (com.razer.nagaepicdaemon[253]): Exited with exit code: 1
Jun 29 21:20:46 Vault com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[147] (com.razer.nagaepicdaemon): Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Look in these places:

MacIntosh HD/Library/LaunchDaemons/

MacIntosh HD/Library/LaunchAgents/

MacIntosh HD/Library/StartupItems/

MacIntosh HD/Users/your user name/Library/LaunchAgents/

Also look under System Preferences, Accounts, Login Items.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.