• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

I have apparently exceeded my 150gb ATT internet limit!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
You know when they say to trust your gut instinct? Well, there's NO way in H e double hockey sticks that I have exceeded 150gb this month! I remember like it was yesterday that my plan included unlimited internet usage, but now they tell me on this email that they notified me earlier...HAAHHHH, yeah right!!! I have done more in the past than I have done so far, and this month was nothing! I don't even have xbox live, and have either been too busy at the Cleveland Clinic, or in class to even use the internet as much as before! I've have seriously had enough of this. I don't care if I don't have internet. I've had this internet plan for about 3 year, and would rather drop it than continue anymore with this torture. As some of you might know, there are only 2 ISP's in my area: At&t and COX Communication. I'm getting my hammer ready to smash the living daylights out of this stupid modem/router.
20110630-k2emmnj6qpxgaq976ysewte863.jpg

sorry for the rant...it was MUCH needed.

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
What's funny is that they are going to charge me for 50gb's when it's not even pro-rated, and will only last from the 28th through the 30th! What a joke!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Whats even worse last I checked they did not have their usage meter ready for download or at least on the Uverse side.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
The kids stream Netflix daily, use the Internet all the time, xbox, ps3, etc. etc. and I rarely break 100gb. If you don't have much usage I find it really hard to believe that you are over. Comcast here will give you the boot if you go over twice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
I'd be for seeing if anyone is gaining access to your network if you have WiFi or if someone else is "borrowing" your bandwidth while you're out.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
So far the highest I have gone on AT&T's so called usage meter is 68GB one month. The rest has been from 24-52GB. It still bugs me I am capped and could go over and be charged extra. AT&T needs to get a life. Everything is going on line yet they are giving us LESS usage?

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I use wpa2 on my att wireless modem, and change the password frequently. I talked to a COX rep earlier, and it seems like I will be switching to their Premier internet with 24mbs down, 30mb's down with PowerBoost, and 2mb's up. I can't wait to see what that kind of speed will be like! I just have to wait till next week. I'm really going to smash the att modem with a sludge hammer, and will post pics of it in pieces!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I use wpa2 on my att wireless modem, and change the password frequently. I talked to a COX rep earlier, and it seems like I will be switching to their Premier internet with 24mbs down, 30mb's down with PowerBoost, and 2mb's up. I can't wait to see what that kind of speed will be like! I just have to wait till next week. I'm really going to smash the att modem with a sludge hammer, and will post pics of it in pieces!

curious, how much per month will the Cox be?

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
It's going to be $61.40(tax included) for the first 3 months, then $70.02 after. The good thing is I can cancel at the end of the 3-month period...which is probably something I will end up doing because I have 6mbps download right now, and it's honestly fine for me. I will most likely downgrade to their Preferred with 12/15mbps down, and 1.5mbps up for $37 for the first 3 months, but goes to $52(!) after.

They also have decent tv/internet bundles that I might just try too.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I found another DSL provider that uses the AT&T Lines but does not plan it on any Caps. A bit lower then AT&T price wise with also 6GB down and 768 Up. They are called Sonic.net. When AT&T put in the cap, my friend bailed and loves Sonic. Same speeds but way better tech support. They are in the bay area. Ever heard of them? They are providing DSL now to Modesto where i live and Turlock where my friend lives.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Hum that's new. I have a friend that works at AT&T I'll ask him about this.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
CR, AT&T implemented it in May.

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Never heard of that specific company. There are PLENTY of high quality providers around me, but for some reason, none of them provide service in my area.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Holy cow do you guys get ripped off! I thought that plans as such were only in places like Australia and NZ for some reason! Are you guys in the sticks or something? If I ever move, the basis for where we go will have to include unlimited bandwidth for no more than what we pay now, which is $50 a month. Getting about 30Mbps down and 5 up.

Heck, when I was living in Hungary, I was getting about 40 down and 15 up for less than what I pay now, unlimited as well, via T Mobile!

Man... I can't stand these greedy co's!

D.

Reaction score
I don't know what to say... Bandwidth capping seems like such a barbaric practice from a European standpoint. You have all my sympathy, because it is clear you are the victim of a scam!

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Holy cow do you guys get ripped off! I thought that plans as such were only in places like Australia and NZ for some reason! Are you guys in the sticks or something? If I ever move, the basis for where we go will have to include unlimited bandwidth for no more than what we pay now, which is $50 a month. Getting about 30Mbps down and 5 up.

Heck, when I was living in Hungary, I was getting about 40 down and 15 up for less than what I pay now, unlimited as well, via T Mobile!

Man... I can't stand these greedy co's!

D.

I don't know what to say... Bandwidth capping seems like such a barbaric practice from a European standpoint. You have all my sympathy, because it is clear you are the victim of a scam!

What's one to do? We have 2 of the largest ISP providers here that push all competition out. The only one's that survive are the ISP's serving businesses.
I am angry over this, but I'm not going to move ver it, or curse life.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm really surprised that AT&T hasn't come off bandwidth and usage CAPS. Especially with Verizon breathing down their necks in most of the country with FIOS. FIOS may be a bit more expensive but it comes with no bandwidth or usage CAPS - and you also get their cable TV along with it. (optional extra cost)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm really surprised that AT&T hasn't come off bandwidth and usage CAPS. Especially with Verizon breathing down their necks in most of the country with FIOS. FIOS may be a bit more expensive but it comes with no bandwidth or usage CAPS - and you also get their cable TV along with it. (optional extra cost)

The AT&T Caps are a very recent thing. That shocks me also with the increasing demand of the Internet and more and more being online only!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.