• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Final Cut Pro Users Dissapointed, Apple issue refunds

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
Good to see Apple standing behind their product. Interesting that it was released without so many features.

OP
robduckyworth

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
Apple responded by stating, "Every single missing pro-feature for FCPX will become available via update rather soon. SDI, EDL, XML. - all those features are coming very soon."

this bit annoyed me the most. This isnt open source - where you release often, and its community based/supported - this is a professional, expensive app. They are paid to create this. It seems rushed, and to simply cut out features of an application that costs 300 bucks is just ludicrous, especially when people use it for businesses.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
In all honesty, I was rather wary of the new version ever since I heard they seemed to want to make it "more appealing" to main stream users - it looks to me like iMovie on steroids and Final Cut on meth. I think this new version is just a hideous mistake that can potentially alienate more of the pro community.

Reaction score
Here's a thought:

How about waiting about three to six months after a product release so that bugs are ironed out?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Here's a thought:

How about waiting about three to six months after a product release so that bugs are ironed out?

That would be the logical thing to do, but people do get excited when new things come out. They kind of expect it to be better than the previous version(s).

I always do research first and see if I like it before I upgrade. Another way to go about it I guess. >_>"

It is cool that Apple is doing refund for the unhappy customers. Would any of the big computer software companies do so?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Here's a thought:

Don't believe anyone is talking about bugs here. They're talking about a professional application that is missing features that are required in order to perform the task at hand. That's no bug.

In all honesty, I was rather wary of the new version ever since I heard they seemed to want to make it "more appealing" to main stream users - it looks to me like iMovie on steroids and Final Cut on meth. I think this new version is just a hideous mistake that can potentially alienate more of the pro community.

This is exactly what they did. Dropping the price from $1,000 to $300. Great price drop and I can see some home hobbyists jumping on this bandwagon. Don't believe many professionals have installed this on their primary work systems without trying it out first.

And now they won't. Anyone looking for a pro app of this type at this point, Apple has lost sales for quite some time. This was a big mistake on their part.

Undoubtedly, the team had been working on it for so long they were under pressure from above to get it released and start bringing some money in for the money that was going out.

This is what happens when the "suits" take over.

Just started working for a new general contractor for us. Part of their motto is to "under promise and over deliver". The "suits" that made the decision to release early should have seen this.

If the "suits" wanted to start bringing in a fresh influx of cash, they should have released the existing version in the app store and dropped it's price rather than bringing to market an app that doesn't do what is expected. They should have learned their lesson back with iMovie '08. It seems not though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Apple basically gave away their professional video editing market share with this move - and I don't think they particularly care, since a lot of casual users will probably find this iMovie Pro more appealing to try than Final Cut Pro was. It's kind of saddening to see Apple forsake their customers like this since arguably it was the creative professional community that brought Apple from the brink of death to a point where they could try to appeal to the mass market more.

Here's a thought:

And of course, the problem with this or any statement along the lines of "Just keep using Final Cut Pro 7" (aside from the incorrect assertion that this has anything to do with bugs rather than features intentionally left out) is that Apple stopped offering FCP7 the day FCPX came out. Want to add a new FCP workstation to the studio? Oops, sorry. Can't get a version of FCP that actually functions properly or even opens older projects on it. Apple just ensured losing an entire industry's worth of customers with this move, and getting it back will be incredibly difficult to say the least -- Adobe has been offering a better product than FCP for the last couple years with CS5 but wasn't able to coax anyone over until this debacle, because everyone just figured they could wait for the surely superior next version.

I think the best thing Apple can do in the short term is keep offering Final Cut Pro 7 as an optional download for Final Cut Pro X customers, to tide them over until the missing features are eventually added back into Final Cut Pro X.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
This is exactly what they did. Dropping the price from $1,000 to $300. Great price drop and I can see some home hobbyists jumping on this bandwagon. Don't believe many professionals have installed this on their primary work systems without trying it out first.

But, that $1000 was for a full suite of tools, not just for FCP - which makes one wonder, was this really a price drop or just shifting the major tools to a-la-carte? Compressor and Motion are separate products now @$50 ea, which moves getting everything up to $400. I find it hard to believe that they have incorporated all of the abilities of Color, Soundtrack Pro and DVDStudio Pro in the new FCPX (although they claim to have audio and color adjustment and some sort of at least limited media authoring).

Really, this new package feels more like an over-priced FCE then a true replacement for FCS.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.