CD/DVD drive doesn't show in Mac but...

Reaction score
I'm using OS X 10.6.7. The CD was working fine but after I installed VMWare Fusion and Windows 7 on top of that the CD/DVD doesn't show up in Mac at all. But it plays fine in Windows.

I'm a new Mac user, is there some check box or preference I'm supposed to enable? I couldn't find anything useful in System Preferences. Maybe there is a setting I need to enable in VMWare? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
It's been a while since I used Fusion, but I think there's a menu item to pass hardware control from the Mac to Windows. You may have to go into those menus and manually disconnect the optical drive from Windows so that the Mac can regain control.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
As noted here, only one OS at a time can manage an optical drive. As EvenStranger noted, if you still have your Windows VM booted, either shut it down or pass control of the optical drive back to OS X.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.