10.6.8 update

Reaction score
Since I updated yesterday, my iMac has frozen 3 times. Mouse works, but has no effect. Nothing to do but press the button to shut down. Anyone else have this problem since updating?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Since I updated yesterday, my iMac has frozen 3 times. Mouse works, but has no effect. Nothing to do but press the button to shut down. Anyone else have this problem since updating?

Not I or most of us. I recommend manually downloading and applying the 10.6.8 Update Combo. This often will resolve issues introduced when updating via the built-in updater.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Report back if that fixes it. I have had no issues at all with two Macs with the 10.6.8 update.

OP
G
Reaction score
My computer froze again during the download. Sigh... It finally finished. It's a HUGE file. It may not finish updating before I have to go to work. Will post again ASAP.

Reaction score
I'm going to give this a try and see if it fixes my problem. I have a Boxee Box which worked perfect before the update...after the update it can't play a single file off my mac. NOT happy. :(

OP
G
Reaction score
I did download and install the combo update. So far, NO freezes. That seems to have fixed the issue. THANK you all!!!

Reaction score
unfortunately it didn't to the trick for me. Still not working with my Boxee Box. Is there any way to undo the upgrade without time machine? :/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
unfortunately it didn't to the trick for me. Still not working with my Boxee Box. Is there any way to undo the upgrade without time machine? :/

Nope. Apparently you aren't the only one with that prob. Methinks Boxee needs to update their device.

Reaction score
Nope. Apparently you aren't the only one with that prob. Methinks Boxee needs to update their device.

ya, i've seen a few others mention it as well. Seems like something Apple did on purpose to screw with Boxee. Glad consumers get to pay the price. :Grimmace:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ya, i've seen a few others mention it as well. Seems like something Apple did on purpose to screw with Boxee. Glad consumers get to pay the price. :Grimmace:

Take off the tin foil hat already.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro "Harpertown" - 2x 3Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon - 12gb RAM-
Not I or most of us. I recommend manually downloading and applying the 10.6.8 Update Combo. This often will resolve issues introduced when updating via the built-in updater.
I saw that there were two different downloads, one was the combo. What is the difference? Wasn't sure which to get. I'm running 10.6.7 atm.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I saw that there were two different downloads, one was the combo. What is the difference? Wasn't sure which to get. I'm running 10.6.7 atm.

Thanks.

Both links are for the same file.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Both links are for the same file.
Sorry, I didn't mean from the links in this thread... I meant that earlier, on the apple site, I saw a "regular" update and a combo update and was wondering what the difference is other than file size? I didn't see any explanation there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry, I didn't mean from the links in this thread... I meant that earlier, on the apple site, I saw a "regular" update and a combo update and was wondering what the difference is other than file size? I didn't see any explanation there.

I'm not sure what this "regular" update is that you are referring to. If you update the OS using the built-in Software Update function, it will only download and install the specific files that will upgrade you from your existing version to the new version. The Update Combo contains the files that will get any prior version updated to the latest. You can go straight from 10.6.0 to 10.6.8 with the Update Combo. It includes every update and fix in between.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not sure what this "regular" update is that you are referring to. If you update the OS using the built-in Software Update function, it will only download and install the specific files that will upgrade you from your existing version to the new version. The Update Combo contains the files that will get any prior version updated to the latest. You can go straight from 10.6.0 to 10.6.8 with the Update Combo. It includes every update and fix in between.
Here's what I was looking at on Apple's site:
Apple - Support - Search

10.6.8.png

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If I am downloading the file manually as you are I usually go with the Combo Updaters. They include the update as well as any supporting files that might be needed to complete the install.

Just to give you an example, I could not install a manual update once because my system was missing an update that Apple had made to the installer program. The regular update did not work but the Combo updater probably would have because it would also have contained the installer update.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.