images.

Reaction score
Hi,

I bought a camera and unwittingly didn't realise that the photos it takes aren't exactly compatible with mac. Basically the mac won't acknowledge that the file actually exists or anything, so I'm having to import the photos from a windows machine and then send them to myself, which works but is a little time consuming. Anyone got any ideas as to a program which may be able to rectify the problem?

Thanks,

Ben

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Hi,

I bought a camera and unwittingly didn't realise that the photos it takes aren't exactly compatible with mac. Basically the mac won't acknowledge that the file actually exists or anything, so I'm having to import the photos from a windows machine and then send them to myself, which works but is a little time consuming. Anyone got any ideas as to a program which may be able to rectify the problem?

Thanks,

Ben

This is extremely unlikely unless you have some strange one-of-a-kind camera.

Really need some more basic information to help such as camera model, what Mac do you have (in particular how old and what OS version you are running) and what you attempting to do that is giving you problems. As in, are you using iPhoto and trying to import directly from the camera (not something a lot of the photography enthusiasts I know think is best).

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I am not certain about your knowledge level regarding digital photography (from your post I assume it isn't very high--if I'm wrong I apologize) so I am giving a quick summary of some basic information that may help.

1) All digital cameras record images as data files that must be processed (developed if you will) to render a finished image (normally the product is in jpeg format.
2) Recording of files is typically on some sort of removable media (Compact Flash Card, SD Card, Memory Stick etc)
3) Transfer of image files from your camera to your computer (Mac or PC) can be direct (normally USB cable) or by use of a Card reader (remove the memory card from your camera and use the reader to transfer to your computer--most of us use and prefer this method for a variety of reasons)
4) To actually deal with your images on your computer (Mac or PC) you have to have some sort of image viewer/processor/editor. This can be iPhoto, Preview etc. Normally when people complain their computer can't see or import images this is the problem. Typically they are using a photo program but haven't updated it so that it has current drivers for their camera. This is one of the reasons to use a card reader, as it avoids this issue.

Hope this helps. And to keep from becoming boring or belaboring the point I will leave it at that.

OP
B
Reaction score
Haha thanks man, I generally know all that, it's just literally that I have emailed the support team for the camera and they say that it won't be recognised on a mac, and as you asked, it is quite a strange digital camera which I bought because it's small and japanese and a bit rubbish but nice effects. I realise that it isn't my importer however but literally just the fact that the mac won't recognise the images as images or as actual files. I don't know why but it's a known thing. It was just a long shot to see if there was anything which could affect it...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
what type of files does it create?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" Glossy 2.16 gHz/2gig/320g
Are you shooting in Raw? Can you show us this camera and maybe a screenshot showing the file name?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Is the Mac not recognizing the camera in Finder and in iPhoto? Have you tried both methods of trying to view the camera's files?
I'd also like to know what camera the OP is using. I have a Sony Cybershot and a Canon DSLR. Both work with iPhoto, but only the Sony shows up in Finder.

OP
B
Reaction score
It takes Jpegs but the file type shows up as Alias. and cannot be opened deleted or anything else as apparently, they're not there... I'll work on a screenshot soon.

C

chas_m

It doesn't matter that the camera cannot be recognized. The manufacturer said it wouldn't, it IS an unsupported camera (apparently using nonstandard methods to communicate with the computer).

So forget the camera. Just take the storage card out of the camera and stick it into a cheap card reader (maybe $10 at your local camera shop). Then the Mac will behave like you would expect.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.