? about transferring files

Reaction score
I am new to this forum and new to mac. I like it all except for the os differences. I use to have a Dell and set up my external western digital 1tb hd on it. Well I had a roommate and his dog broke my dell so i bought a macbook pro and want to keep adding files to the hd. i have downloaded the ntfs-3g and macfuse to help with this problem. I have safely closed the hd on a windows computer and i keep getting the NTFS-3G could not mount sign. just to clear up it says:

NTFS-3G could not mount /dev/disk1s1 at /Volumes/My Book because the following problem occurred:

/Library/Filesystems/fusefs.fs/Support/fusefs/kext failed to load - (libkern/kext) link error; check the system/kernel logs for errors or try kexutil(8). the MacFUSE file system is not available (71)

Can anyone help me???? PLEASE

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Welcome to the forum.

Someone else may be able to help you debug NTFS3g and MacFUSE but personally I'd invest in Paragon NTFS or you could try the free NTFSMounter

It would also help if you added to your post and/or your profile which model of Mac (specifically) you have and which version of OSX.

OP
P
Reaction score
I have the MacBook Pro with the i7 processor and im using the os-x

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I have the MacBook Pro with the i7 processor and im using the os-x

By version of OS, what was meant was 10.5 or 10.6 etc.

Assume since you have the i7 MacBook Pro that you are running 10.6

OP
P
Reaction score
haha wow i feel dumb. sorry im new to mac and do not know how to check and see which one it is. but i just bought the mac so im sure its 10.6

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
haha wow i feel dumb. sorry im new to mac and do not know how to check and see which one it is. but i just bought the mac so im sure its 10.6

If you click on the Apple in the menu bar and go down to About this Mac it will give you the OS version among other information. But 10.6 is almost certain to be what you are running.

OP
P
Reaction score
10.6.8 is my os. also could someone help me cuz when i downloaded the ntfs mount it says it cant find any ntfs volume. what do i do

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Are you using the 64bit kernel by any chance? Fuse, which is used by NTFS-3G does not support the 64bit kernel. See here for more info. If the information there is correct, the newer Macs default to the 64bit kernel.

You have a few options here:
1. Try the unofficial MacFuse build listed on that page.
2. Copy the files from that HD somewhere else, reformat the drive with either the FAT or HFS+ filesystem (go with FAT if you want Windows compatibility) and copy everything back to the HD afterwards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.