XBMC question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 inch, 2020
I recently got a mac and was using both Plex and xbmc on my dell, before. I like plex better, but there were pauses in movies and shows so I decided to try xbmc and didn't see any pauses or freezes. I installed plex on my mac and it was working great until last night so I decided to try xbmc. I went into the 'add source' section on xbmc on the ATV2, but couldn't find the shared folder that I have movies in on my mac. I did see the folder that was on my dell, but wasn't able to delete it. Is the version that I installed on my apple tv, a windows version? If so, do I need to delete it and install a mac version or is there only one version? How do I get xbmc to see the movie folder on my mac desktop, I already set it to be shared? Thanks a lot

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I'm sorry your post is a little confusing you talk o fusing Plex and XBMC on Mac and PC then say you're having trouble with XBMC on ATV2.....

I'm going to assume that it's the ATV2 you need help with, so . . . .
XBMC on Mac or Windows isn't required for XBMC on ATV2 so you can forget about those for now.

On your Mac - System Preferences - Sharing - File Sharing should be ticked and the folder you are sharing should be listed under 'Shared Folders', users should show Everyone as Read Only.

Make sure your Mac and ATV2 are on the same network.
Make sure your ATV2 is connected to the network correctly, view a movie trailer or similar.
Try Home Sharing your iTunes library, can you stream from your iTunes library to ATV?

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry for the confusing post. I have the folder set up correctly and I am streaming movies with plex to my apple tv, however Plex seems to be a little buggyand when I am watching a movie, it freezes so I want to use XBMC. When I set up XBMC on my dell, I went to the add source section and was able to search my network for the shared folder. However, it seems that XBMC is not seeing my mac or the shared folder that I set up. Plex is so much easier to set up because all you have to do is drop the folder into the media manager section, but in my experience, plex doesn't stream movies as clear as xbmc and freezes a lot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Plex and XBMC work differently on ATV.

Plex on ATV requires the Plex server running on your PC or Mac.

XBMC is standalone.

The install on your ATV does not get 'fed' by the the XBMC install on your Mac/PC.

You don't need XBMC on your PC/Mac for XBMC to work on ATV.

In XBMC on the ATV you should be able to add your shared folders.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know and I was able to add the folder when I was using my Dell, but can't while using my mac.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When I go to the add source screen and browse for the folder I see: HDHomerun Devices, Home Folder, ReplayTV Devices, SAP Streams, UPnP devices, Video Playlists, Windows Network (SMB) and Zeroconf Browser, then on the bottom is Add Network Location. I would think that the network location one would be the one to choose, but then it gives me the same choices that I listed above to add. I am not sure why the Windows Network is still showing. Any idea how I point it to the folder on my mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The folder on your Mac is shared as an SMB share.

Go into Windows Network (SMB) - workgroup - then you should see your iMac and it's shared folders.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow, that worked. Thank you very, very much!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad you got sorted

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.