Why change Win7 sp1 x64 bootcamp to Win7 sp1 x86 bootcamp using OSX Snow Leopard?

Reaction score
Because there are some windows programs that are not able to run in Windows7 sp1 x64. Now you have 2 choices:

1. wait for a 64 bit version of that program, that will run under the 64 bit version.
or
2. Install Windows7 sp1 x86 version, now all those older program will run.

I downgraded my windows7 sp1 x64 to windows7 sp1 x86 bootcamp
Unfortunately this process is not painless. You wont be able to save your installed programs during this conversion process. However the reverse upgrading from windows7 sp1 x86 to windows7 sp1 x64 is supposed to work.

The upgrade process or downgrade progress will always keep a copy of the original install in a folder called Windows.old. This Folder can be deleted, once you are happy with your new changes.

The procedure:

1. Press C during booting, and pick the Windows HDD
2. Insert the Windows7 sp1 x86 DVD
3. Run setup from the DVD
4. Choose Install new version (choosing upgrade wont work)
5. After the 2nd reboot, remove the DVD
6. Press C during booting, and pick the Windows HDD, finish installing.
7. Reinstall your windows programs
8. Delete the Windows.old folder

Cheers! I hope someone will find the above useful.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Microsoft has clearly stated that you can not upgrade from the 32 bit version of Win 7 to the 64 bit version without doing a clean install. The reverse is also true. This is nothing new as it has been the same for XP and Vista.

The upgrade process or downgrade progress will always keep a copy of the original install in a folder called Windows.old. This Folder can be deleted, once you are happy with your new changes.

It really doesn't matter because the boot sector and files are different for the 64 bit version from the 32 bit version and vice versa. The "old" folder is useless and doesn't allow you to reverse the process.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I'd also say you have more than two choices:
1. Run the XP VM if you have Windows 7 ultimate
2. Use compatibility mode
3. Run Virtual Box with an x86 OS in.

Out of interest which application requires a pure x86 OS? In my experience, every x86 native game/app runs happily under Windows 7 x64

OP
T
Reaction score
I'd also say you have more than two choices:
1. Run the XP VM if you have Windows 7 ultimate
2. Use compatibility mode
3. Run Virtual Box with an x86 OS in.

Out of interest which application requires a pure x86 OS? In my experience, every x86 native game/app runs happily under Windows 7 x64

I have not given your options a try yet, I will however keep them in mind for a winter project. ;D

My wife complained that 3 games that ran just fine under XP did not under win7 x64:
1. Bicycle Solitaire
2. Bicycle Blackjack
2. Cubis Gold 2

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.