Where to buy OSX 10.5 with license (UK)

Reaction score
I'm still running 10.2.8 on my 2003 Powerbook. I just replaced the hard drive myself:) Easy, but finding a copy of 10.5 Leopard seems to be harder. Where do I get a licensed copy for the right price? Apple don't sell it :( I want to run flash etc.. HELP ME PLEASE.............∫…^∆∫√~∂^ßæ∫ƒß…

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
best to keep an eye on ebay

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm still running 10.2.8 on my 2003 Powerbook. I just replaced the hard drive myself:) Easy, but finding a copy of 10.5 Leopard seems to be harder. Where do I get a licensed copy for the right price?

With a 2003 Powerbook you should be ok...but just in case...double check that it has at least an 867mhz cpu (the minimum official cpu speed for OS 10.5).

Like "louishen" mentioned...keep your eyes on e-Bay. Here in the US OS 10.5 sells for around $100 on e-Bay...not 100% sure on UK prices for OS 10.5. Also...Apple here in the US does still sell OS 10.5 (only via their "800" number)...for $129.

Good luck,

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks Stewie

I bought one on ebay but it refused to load.
It must have been used on another machine????
I'm now looking at new un-opened boxes with license.
I'm shocked that Apple don't do the last OSX that works on my powerbook.
I paid them £2600 towards their future....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You have to get the full retail install version of Leopard if, as Nick stated, your processor is faster than 867MHz. The silver/grey discs are extremely model specific. And the money you spent on Apple's future has no doubt passed. PowerPC machines have had their day alas and we have all been in that situation of upgrading to Intel.

OP
S
Reaction score
Noooooooo. My powerbook G4 is very happy and as long as 10.5 can keep Flash and Mozzilla working for another 10 years. I'll be very happy... :) Thanks Harry I'm getting new and sealed retail discs from ebay with a license!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well Steve make sure they are retail as eBay sellers do some remarkable feats of marketing. And ten years? My goodness nooooooooo as all Leopard and PPC ceases with the launch of Lion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I bought one on ebay but it refused to load.
It must have been used on another machine????

Not quite right. It's not like Windows where you need a serial number to "unlock" the disc. Instead, Apple made different discs for different models. If you go buy two Macs that are exactly the same, the OS discs will be interchangeable. But, one very slight difference in the machines, and that's no longer the case. Put another way, if you had a room full of identical Macs, you'd only need one gray disc to install the OS on every one of them. That would not be ethical, but it is technically possible.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Noooooooo. My powerbook G4 is very happy and as long as 10.5 can keep Flash and Mozzilla working for another 10 years. I'll be very happy... :)

Good luck with that...another 10 years!;)

...I'm getting new and sealed retail discs from ebay with a license!!!!!!!!

There is no license to be had. You just need a full retail install disk.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I paid them £2600 towards their future....

I'm not really sure what you mean by this??:Confused: Unless you're referring to the price you paid (£2600) for this Powerbook back in 2003.

In case you didn't know...it's 8 years old now...and worth about $100-$125 US. That's about what you're going to pay for an OS 10.5 install disk.:(

Just thought you should know that...when throwing around big numbers (£2600)...and talking about an 8 year-old computer.;)

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
I know, Technology is rapaciously destroying Gaia. When will they make machines where the parts can be inter-changed like Panzer tanks. Parts are smaller now, So why can't I get an Intel mother board for this perfectly good chassis and screen???? I thought Apple were a bunch of hippies :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know, Technology is rapaciously destroying Gaia. When will they make machines where the parts can be inter-changed like Panzer tanks.

Actually...the parts for Panzer Tanks weren't that interchangeable. Parts from the very complex & over-engineeered Tiger Tanks of WW2 didn't fit previous models. But I understand the "gist" of what you're saying.:)

This is really nothing new. With Mac computers...it's really impossible to expect parts from 2011 models to fit into an 8 year-old computer housing/chassis. Especially when you're talking a laptop!!!

Parts are smaller now, So why can't I get an Intel mother board for this perfectly good chassis and screen????

I hope that you're kidding!;) It's not a size or volume issue (smaller parts fitting into a larger space)...it's WAYYY more complex than that.:)

I think that it's time for a computer upgrade!;)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.