USB current overdraw with only cord connected in MacBook

Reaction score
I have an older MacBook (2007, just before they started releasing the unibody MacBooks) that has suddenly started having problems with my external HDD (iomega eGo 500GB)... well not even the HDD, really, but the Y cable. It used to work just fine, no problems, but recently when I just plug the cable into the USB ports (doesn't matter if I do one port or both) I get the USB current overdraw notice - I don't even have the HDD connected on the other end of the USB cable yet, I just plug in the cable and I get an overdraw notice. Seems to be just the cable, too since I can plug in my thumb drive and I have no problem. However, the cable works just fine (usually) with my PC desktops both at home and in my lab. Should I just invest in a new cable or is it something with the MacBook USB ports?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Try a new cable first. They're inexpensive and can be purchased from any store that sells computer accessories. If the new cable cause the same current overdraw, the problem may be with the ports. You can try to do a PRAM reset to see if that works.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
You can try to do a PRAM reset to see if that works.

Just over a month on from this thread, but I too am receiving Over Current notification, even via the battery-powered 4-port hub. It says that the hub will be deactivated, which is a nuisance, with the other USB devices plugged into it.

I'm trying to test an Apple USB modem should I need to use dialup with my 2008 Macbook. Is it widely known/recognised that the Apple USB modem has a high power demand? Seems odd to me that an Apple peripheral will not work effectively with an Apple (laptop) computer.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I've also had difficulty powering various devices with my 2008 MacBook. The same devices have no problem when plugged into my 2011 iMac. One of the devices is an older iPod with the built in Toshiba miniature hard drive. However, I would have thought a powered hub could handle an Apple modem. Perhaps because it's battery powered it doesn't provide enough current.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.