Is This a Good Method For Increasing The Size of my Bootcamp Partition?

Reaction score
I was running Windows XP on a Bootcamp partition, and I realized that I needed more space. So, I found some instructions on the internet to use Winclone to create an image of my partition, resize the bootcamp partition, and restore the image to the bigger partition. After some time, I was able to figure out how to do the first two steps of that method, but I can't get it to restore to the new partition. I did some more research on the internet and I found out that FAT32 (which is the type of file system my Windows partition was using) can't put itself into a bigger partition. So now I'm stuck with my Windows partition stuck in a .winclone file.

I was wondering if this was a plausible procedure to change the type of file system from FAT32 to NTFS:

1. Create a FAT32 partition that is the same size as my Windows system.
2. Restore Windows to the new partition with Winclone.
3. Inside Windows, change the file system from FAT32 to NTFS (using these instructions: How to convert a FAT16 volume or a FAT32 volume to an NTFS file system in Windows XP)
4. Create an Image of my Windows partition with Winclone.
5. Make a new partition with an increased size.
6. Use Winclone to restore the NTFS Windows to the partition.

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

If you would have asked us first before using WinClone we would have told you that expanding or shrinking a FAT-32 partition in that manner does not work.

And we would have instead recommended a utility called CampTune.

The procedure you're proposing will likely fail. WinClone is no longer being developed and has always been prone to errors when working with FAT-32 partitions. You may be better off starting over by redoing the Boot Camp partition and reinstalling XP.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.