i3 iMac slower than C2D MacBook.

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
Goose!
Reaction score
Advice given....

Check stuff on start up and see if anythings running in background - I did it.
Apple Hardware test - I did it.
New user - I did it.

I gave you a pretty clear valid reason to as to why I can't backup and re-install, which in itself is extreme anyway. But whatever, no need to throw a hissy.

OP
Goose!
Reaction score
Just bring it in and have it looked at...simple.

Well if "here" is an apple store. Then well it would be cheaper just to buy another external and just re-install since the stores charge daylight robbery prices.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Advice given....

Check stuff on start up and see if anythings running in background - I did it.
Apple Hardware test - I did it.
New user - I did it.

I gave you a pretty clear valid reason to as to why I can't backup and re-install, which in itself is extreme anyway. But whatever, no need to throw a hissy.

I'm not throwing a hissy fit, but you are ignoring advice that you CAN and should do… i.e. test your drive, partition your drive and try a clean install on that, etc. You don't HAVE to take any advice, but we certainly don't HAVE to offer any either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G
Well if "here" is an apple store. Then well it would be cheaper just to buy another external and just re-install since the stores charge daylight robbery prices.

You said your machine was 3 mo. old...Your under warranty...If you have an obvious problem....they'll find it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac
Going back to the original post rather than this irrelevant CPU discussion, doing an Onyx rebuild of the permissions and such, as well as just letting it run its tasks would be the best idea. Onyx is free and absolutely works wonders. I'm with you regarding keeping half of the hard drive free, I do the same here, especially since a computer starts to slow down once a hard drive has about 20% left to use. Another good program out there, Drive Warrior, can tell you if your hard drive is truly failing. But the main thing we should be asking you is, what exactly are you doing with your computer which could cause this slowdown? Also, was it always like this? If not, what was the last thing you did before it started acting up? If so, then you should have brought it into Apple or called them, plain and simple. We here can only provide our advice in any situation, we only want to help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
It's just something i have experienced, those reviews you have to take with a grain of salt, and develop your own opinions from doing tests.

Well every so many years they come out with new processors to replace the old, and increasing the speeds of RAM, to DDR3 with the newer i's. The C2Ds are still being put into machines, maybe not as many Macs, but Dell is still dishing them out in their business class ones, which i work with everyday, and they are quite powerful compared to the i5 I am typing on now. Now not everything that comes out will be better than the old, it all comes down to the user, my opinion is obviously different than yours. I for one am still using a Palm PDA instead of getting one of those iPod touches or iPhones which are extremely sluggish compared to my Palm because i actually use it for work, and not d!cking around. It all comes down to you, if you feel the need to upgrade eevry day when something comes out, that's up to you to waste money like that. I like to keep things until they literally die, but that's just me.

You are so far off base it's not even funny. My i3 iMac is significantly faster than my C2D Macbook at pretty much everything. Running everything from Geekbench to Cinebench to XBench to Handbrake to MS Word to Adobe PS 5 in the real world the i3 wins hands down. Period.

Going back to the original post rather than this irrelevant CPU discussion

You're the one who made it part of the discussion with plainly false statements.

Not sure where you are getting your bogus info from but you need to get a grip.

Sounds to me like the OP has some hardware issues, likely the HDD. I would recommend making sure the RAM is all showing up and working properly. A bad module/lack of RAM could cause this issue as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 Mac mini and 2010 13" MacBook Pro, iPhone 4 and iPad
Well the i3 being slower than the Core2Duo is expected since it's a lesser processor compared to the i7, which is comparable to the C2D. I know the architecture is completely different, but in terms of the level of quality, i3s are down there where Core Duos were. I did a test with a new MBP with an i7 and my C2D, both with very similar processing power, and created an image in Photoshop that generally takes awhile on mine. The newer i7 was actually slower in processing time than my C2D.
... What planet are you on? There's no way a core 2 duo is better than a quad core sandy bridge i7 desktop processor. I assume to come to that conclusion you must be running a Core 2 Extreme Super Intense Black Edition only one ever created chip? Or maybe you just switched your sentences around. At any rate, no matter how you look at it, its wrong. But for fun, lets compare. Core 2 Duo Extreme Yorkfield versus i7 Sandy Bridge 2600K. For one, the TDP on the extreme is somewhere around 130-150 while sandy comes in at a cool 95. True, most all other core 2 duos are actually lower TDP than sandy bridge but we're comparing the top end processing beasts here. And sandy bridge actually has some low power chips that will blow away core 2 duos. Next up, cores. Duo means 2. any i7 sandy bridge you blink at is 4. how can 2 be better than 4? Not to mention Hyperthreading creating basically 8 cores which core 2 duos aren't even capable of. Clock frequency is relative since both can be overclocked, but the i7 can be clocked higher and more stable on just air. I think what ruffled my feathers here is the idea that Intel and other companies just create new stuff and people buy it because it's new. That is just is ridiculous. Though I'm sure some do, the majority will shun and move to competition that actually creates better products. People buy the new processors because they are better. I don't know what types of empirical data you actually have but I haven't yet run in to any major review sites, magazines, or enthusiasts touting the glory of core 2 duos over sandy bridge chips. Here's an actual comparison taking the opposite stance and explaining the i7's superiority, and thats only on the first generation i7's Intel Core i7 vs Intel Core 2 Duo | Pathik Shah Don't get me wrong. Core 2 duos are great an all, I actually have one in my Macbook Pro right now : ) But if I had a chance to go swap out for a new i5 or i7 sandy I'd switch it in a heartbeat.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Seems this thread has run it's course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.