Kernel Panics after Updates 10.6.5+

Reaction score
Hello. I have a serious problem with updating my MacBook Pro 13" (early 2010). Everything works fine with 10.6.4. but from 10.6.5. on, i get instant kernel panics directly before/after the loginwindow appear(s/ed) (random kexts are indicated: IOUSBFamily, IOAHCI, Logitech stuff, but also SMC, HDA). I thought that this issue would be fixed in 10.6.6, 7 or 8 but it never changed. These KPs also appear in safe mode, after deleting the kext cache or nvram etc. Apparently the reason is the new kernel.

Does anybody have the same issues after updating from 10.6.4. to a newer version?

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I'm wondering if the update brought to light a hardware issue that you had but was unaware of. Have you run the Apple Hardware Test? Have you done anything like change out the RAM yourself?

OP
N
Reaction score
Yes, I did the Apple Hardware Test and everything worked out fine. BTW: The MBP is equipped with an SSD harddrive 256 GB.

And, to be more precise: These KPs appear on every startup. Means, I had to roll back to 10.6.4. all the time. Furthermore, I always updated using Comboupdates and with repairing permissions in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, I did the Apple Hardware Test and everything worked out fine. BTW: The MBP is equipped with an SSD harddrive 256 GB.

And, to be more precise: These KPs appear on every startup. Means, I had to roll back to 10.6.4. all the time. Furthermore, I always updated using Comboupdates and with repairing permissions in advance.

And have you done anything like change the RAM yourself? And is the SSD original from Apple, or a 3rd party?

OP
N
Reaction score
Nothing changed with RAM, SSD original APPLE SSD TS256B. I newer had a KP within 10.6.4. I also installed a fresh 10.6.6. on the computer without updating from my TM-Backup. And the same things happened.

On the 10.6.5. update I read in several forums that there was an issue with WiFi, but I do not find these threads anymore...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
Since the issue links USB and Logitec components, you may be dealing with an older 3rd party driver that is not compatible with the more recent versions of MacOS, most likely for a keyboard or mouse.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Check out this article to see if his tip works for you:
How to fix a Kernel Panic issue after updating to Mac OS X 10.6.5 - My rambling weblog of things and...stuff

Also… do you have any kexts in /Library/Extensions or in ~/Library/Extensions?

There are a number of kexts in /System/Library/Extensions, but that is Apple's stuff and shouldn't normally be messed with, so for the moment, ignore them.

If you can… try installing OS X to a new partition on your internal drive, or to an external if the space is not available. Don't migrate a user. We want a virgin installation free of any 3rd party factors that may be causing the problem. I actually have OS X installed on a thumb drive, complete with various utilities, just for emergencies.
Format Your USB Flash Drive for Use With OS X

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
EvenStranger has a good point… I noticed the Logitech references and forgot to address that. Try uninstalling any Logitech software and drivers.

OP
N
Reaction score
Thank you very much for your replies.

As mentioned above I already installed a virgin 10.6.6. also noticing the KPs. Thus, Logitech cannot be the reason. I think, I will try the AirPort fix - thanks for finding the sources again!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you very much for your replies.

As mentioned above I already installed a virgin 10.6.6. also noticing the KPs. Thus, Logitech cannot be the reason. I think, I will try the AirPort fix - thanks for finding the sources again!

DOH! I missed that. If the Airport fix doesn't work, then definitely try a different drive for kicks.

OP
N
Reaction score
Hi.

AirPort fix did not work. But thanks to lifeisabeach, I tried the external install! I did the external drive install and everything worked out. No KPs. Checking the SSD and again an AHT did not help - the harddrive is ok. Hence, I conclude that some drivers changed which do not work well with my SSD. Does anybody have an idea to solve this or at least noticed the same issue?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Do not rely on AHT solely to diagnose hard drive problems. When you installed the SSD any chance you cloned the operating system to it? if so suggest a format and clean install of Snow Leopard then update with the OS X.6.8 Combo Updater.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1399

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi.

AirPort fix did not work. But thanks to lifeisabeach, I tried the external install! I did the external drive install and everything worked out. No KPs. Checking the SSD and again an AHT did not help - the harddrive is ok. Hence, I conclude that some drivers changed which do not work well with my SSD. Does anybody have an idea to solve this or at least noticed the same issue?

Alrighty… now we're on track! However… don't be too quick to assume it's a problem to the SSD specifically. It "could" be the SATA controller too since that would have no impact on the functioning of an external drive. This actually happened to another member recently. Realistically, the only thing I can think to try is to replace the SSD with an HDD and see if the problem replicates. If it doesn't, then the problem is definitely rooted in the SSD and OS updates. If it does replicate, then it's some other hardware component.

Regardless of which component it is, you are in an interesting pickle. Everything works fine up until you install 10.6.5 or later, which is really odd. The question remains… is it a bug in the updates, or a fault in the hardware that the updates have brought to light? I don't think we can answer that question. I would call Apple, even if you are out of warranty. Sometimes they can make exceptions, and if you have an existing hardware flaw that was only revealed with the updates, then they should be on the hook for it IMO. There may well even be a recall you don't know about.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.