Macbook Pro 17" 2009 display glitches regardless of GPU. Help?

Reaction score
The display has started having a lot of color distortion and artifacts. Here is a picture to illustrate some of them:

SCXVH.jpg

I tried switching between the 9400M and the 9600GT GPU but it has no effect on this. I also tried turning it off and rebooting.

I tried booting in Windows 7 and the problem is there.

At the OS selection screen, the problem is also apparent.

This happens even after if the computer was turned off for the night and cool to the touch.

It showed all of a sudden last night and it does not disappear.

This is a 17" Macbook Pro 2.8Ghz C2D 9400m/9600gt last generation. Purchased in October 2009. It's 19 months old.

I don't have a minidisplay port adapter so I can't test it on an external screen yet.

Any ideas on how to diagnose this further? Has anyone ever heard of such a problem even? You'd think even if one GPU fried, the other would carry on. Do they share VRAM? Could the VRAM be bad?

Thank you for your time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
It's definitely hardware. The display itself rather than the GPU is the more obvious culprit.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yep, looks to be the monitor itself.

Take a screen shot. Typically, if the screen shot is ok, it's a display problem. If the screen shot shows what you see, then it would be GPU related.

If you've got Applecare, it's time to give them a call.

OP
G
Reaction score
Yep, looks to be the monitor itself.

Take a screen shot. Typically, if the screen shot is ok, it's a display problem. If the screen shot shows what you see, then it would be GPU related.

The screenshot looks fine.

And, thanks to you, I decided to slam the mac against my desk and the problem went away. I must've bumped it against a car door or something yesterday to cause the problem (obviously a displaced video ribbon, in hindsight).

You're the man.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.