• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

hi def movies on tv

Reaction score
I have a project in iMovie of 11GB. I want to export to an external hard drive but it will not do this. Is this because of the Fat32 file system (max file size 4GB)? I have read about macosx extended files. Should i format external hard drive to that file system.

Also if this works can i access the hard drive through a hi def media player and play this 11gb imovie file on a high def tv.

How do i watch my hi def video footage on my tv without burning to blu ray???????????????

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I have a project in iMovie of 11GB. I want to export to an external hard drive but it will not do this. Is this because of the Fat32 file system (max file size 4GB)?

Yes

I have read about macosx extended files. Should i format external hard drive to that file system.

If you want a file of that size on the external, then you will have to format it to a file system that can handle that size file. Most would say HFS extended journaled. My own recommendation would depend on the OS of all the computers you will be connecting that external drive to.

Also if this works can i access the hard drive through a hi def media player and play this 11gb imovie file on a high def tv.

Depends on what player that might be.

How do i watch my hi def video footage on my tv without burning to blu ray???????????????

I'd recommend connecting your Mac to your TV without any other knowledge of your entire set up.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks Bobtomay. All the computers connecting to the drive will be mac so that wont be an issue.
What do you mean by connecting mac to tv. do you mean using tv as the monitor.
Do you get players that can handle the HFS file system?

I'm quite new to mac so this is all good stuff.
Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Just out of curiosity, why are you exporting it like that for playback?

If it's that large, unless it's a VERY long video and encoded at a high bitrate or a high rez video that is long at a fairly high bitrate, it sounds like you still have it stored in an edit codec rather then a distribution codec.... For playback on other devices, you should be exporting to an H.264 MP4 (or H.264 MOV)...

In all honesty, if all devices using this file are Macs then you really should have the external drive as HFS, if you are going to use that drive on multiple OS' (like windows or some standalone video players (WD Live, Popcorn Hour, etc.) then you'll want it in Fat32.

Either way, for playback, unless you are giving it to someone to edit, you should transcode to a distribution codec. I don't use iMovie that often, but you should be able to transcode in the share menu if I recall correctly - or take the 11 gig file and run it through MPegStreamClip.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.