• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

editing the computer name

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook 12", ipod photo 20gig
hi, i'm new here and this is my first post.
anyway, i recently bought a 12" ibook.
the problem is, the computer company that i bought this machine from spelled my name wrongly. now my computer name is all wrong.
i'm not talking about the username, i'm talking about the system name here.
the one programs refer to as being the user of the computer.
can someone please help me out and show me how i can edit and correct this.
thank you, i really appreciate it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, 14'', 1.33 Ghz, 60gig, 768ram, Mac OsX 10.4.3
guess you will need to reinstall the os and change your new name from there....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5, 17.in screen. 1.8GHz, Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger.
System Preferences? or something in terminal? maybe we could get our hardcore unix guys to help or sthg.

Y

Yeungster

afaik you can't change it, unless you reinstall. I could be wrong tho. I have yet to find how

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
You can change it under System Preferences-->Sharing, so at least other computers that see it on the network will know it by the name you want.

M

Merlinblack

caribiner23 said:
You can change it under System Preferences-->Sharing, so at least other computers that see it on the network will know it by the name you want.

Bingo!

I think that's as good as it's going to get until you do a re-install

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
okay, thanks for the help.
but isn't there a command or something that can do this?
i'm pretty new to mac so i might sound like an absolute bimbo, but is there a command that say..edit your computer name through the mac version of dosprompt?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You could edit the appropriate file by using Terminal, but you would have to use sudo or enable the root user account, which are many more steps than just going to the Sharing options, clicking and typing.

Nobody thinks you're a bimbo. Go to the Sharing options page and change the name. You've already spent five times the keystrokes you needed to just looking for a different way to do it. :)

S

Steel02001

Could he just setup a new account and move everything over then delete the old account? Just an idea, that for some reason I feel like I am missing something for it to be easy like this but maybe?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
His concern is not with the user name, but the computer name:

sirune said:
i'm not talking about the username, i'm talking about the system name here

:)

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
caribiner23 said:
You could edit the appropriate file by using Terminal, but you would have to use sudo or enable the root user account, which are many more steps than just going to the Sharing options, clicking and typing.
i'm willing to go through with it if someone just show me how, or give me the link where to

caribiner23 said:
Nobody thinks you're a bimbo. Go to the Sharing options page and change the name. You've already spent five times the keystrokes you needed to just looking for a different way to do it. :)
nice to know that :p haha

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.